Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Famed Yellowstone bear article and public perception

S.Dak Drifter

While describing the bear the author states,
"And no grizzly has done more, through her own behavior, to change a perception that members of her species are temperamental menaces ready to attack people at the slightest provocation."

Later in the article:
"In 2007, she mauled a Wyoming schoolteacher after he strolled by a spot where 399 [the bear] and three cubs were feeding on an elk carcass in the bushes."

What's everyone's thoughts on this article?

Only one mauling in 24 years, pretty good for a grumpy old momma bear! Seems like she's confirmed my perceptions, that even the "nice" ones will F you up if you get too close to their babies or food. She's a breeder!

I thought it was cool that at her age she had 4 cubs. It shows what good habitat can do. Regarding the mauling, she's a bear and did what mama bears do in that instance.
It seems we are seeing more bears on the eastern front and they are repopulating the foothills. Numerous sighting (and some problems) in the Beartooths and MT FWP said a young male is wandering around Big Sandy, which is the farthest east in long time. I think it is a good sign, but it will depend on people accepting another predator on this planet that they have to respect.

Back