Falleyes- what would Randy do?

Steelsearchin

Freezer’s stocked with venison, weather’s too hot to chase more deer, we better go see if the fish are biting…

A week ago was one of the craziest weekends of deer processing I’ve ever had. To back it up a bit, last year we put an addition on our garage so I could store my boat inside and have a better space to cut up deer and clean fish. I told the guys who helped me with the sheetrock and paint to bring over their deer if they connected this fall and I’d help cut them up. On Saturday we cut up my buck and another buddy’s, then that afternoon it got crazy. Two buddies and the son of my old boss all shot their biggest bucks to date. I got two calls, of “Hey, I just shot a giant, can you help!?!” within 20 minutes of each other. “Take a number…we’re done with our bucks and pulling a beer can chicken off the weber right now. We gotta feed the boys and we’ll be right over!” Before you know it, there were a couple of true Halloween monsters hanging in the garage. The next day was more of the same and we got all three bucks cut up. Yeah, five deer in a weekend was a bit too much for me.

smHangin tight.jpg

So, with the turf part of the freezer full, it was time for some Michigan surf. Addicting and I made a run over to Erie on Saturday and picked up my dad on the way. It took us a bit to get the fish figured out, but it was a great day on the water.

Waiting for something to happen…

Need a board to get ripped.jpg

Then it finally does!

smErie.jpg

They’re getting bigger!

smDad and big fish.jpg

After some trial and error, it seemed purple was the hot color for the day.

smBandits.jpg

Once we found a pod of active fish, we picked them over pretty good and finally boxed out with our 18.

smBoxed out.jpg

After sending Dad home with his fish, we made it home to get the garage sink a little slimy. All in all, it was a great day. These are definitely the “good old days” of Lake Erie walleye fishing.

smGarage1.jpg

smGarage2.jpg

Good times for sure!!

Yeah, super happy with how the garage turned out, but it's still a work in process. Dad had that meat rail in his garage attic for 25 years and never did anything with it, so I was super happy when he offered it up! Glad we did the FRP sheets. That was a long hot summer day, but it made the beer taste better when Dad and I wrapped that up.

Art- this time of year most guys run 1.6-2.0. We had our best luck at 1.7-1.8 on the graph. Never ran any deep husky jerks, but I read where some guys had success with those too. We seem to do better with the DDHJs on Saginaw Bay, but those deep bandits have been killer on Erie the last few years. Fall fishing means big baits and lots of fun!

It should be noted that Tom graciously gave me his portion of the fish. My wife is a walleye fanatic and I think he wanted to get some brownie points so I could go again. After dividing it up into family of 4 portions we ended up with enough to cover 11 dinner meals.

It was a great day on the water!

Last edited:
Thankfully michigan changed their archaic possession limit rule a few years ago. Used to be a guy was only allowed one day's worth of walleye or pike. Now we can have a daily limit, plus an additional two days, in possession.

Sure was a helluva good day, much more fun than the work emails and conference calls i dealt with today.

Nice fish !! Boat looks like the one in my garage... 20'Lund Alaskan with the Yamaha 90 tiller.
Yeah, mine's only an 18 footer with a side console, but I love it. Best and worst of all worlds- not too fancy, but gets the job done. One of these days i'll get a duck blind for it. Had to search for quite a while to find one with a yammie on it, but the wait was worth it. :)

That’s an Awesome garage set up
Freezer’s stocked with venison, weather’s too hot to chase more deer, we better go see if the fish are biting…

A week ago was one of the craziest weekends of deer processing I’ve ever had. To back it up a bit, last year we put an addition on our garage so I could store my boat inside and have a better space to cut up deer and clean fish. I told the guys who helped me with the sheetrock and paint to bring over their deer if they connected this fall and I’d help cut them up. On Saturday we cut up my buck and another buddy’s, then that afternoon it got crazy. Two buddies and the son of my old boss all shot their biggest bucks to date. I got two calls, of “Hey, I just shot a giant, can you help!?!” within 20 minutes of each other. “Take a number…we’re done with our bucks and pulling a beer can chicken off the weber right now. We gotta feed the boys and we’ll be right over!” Before you know it, there were a couple of true Halloween monsters hanging in the garage. The next day was more of the same and we got all three bucks cut up. Yeah, five deer in a weekend was a bit too much for me.

View attachment 161296

So, with the turf part of the freezer full, it was time for some Michigan surf. Addicting and I made a run over to Erie on Saturday and picked up my dad on the way. It took us a bit to get the fish figured out, but it was a great day on the water.

Waiting for something to happen…

View attachment 161297

Then it finally does!

View attachment 161298

They’re getting bigger!

View attachment 161300

After some trial and error, it seemed purple was the hot color for the day.

View attachment 161301

Once we found a pod of active fish, we picked them over pretty good and finally boxed out with our 18.

View attachment 161302

After sending Dad home with his fish, we made it home to get the garage sink a little slimy. All in all, it was a great day. These are definitely the “good old days” of Lake Erie walleye fishing.

View attachment 161306

View attachment 161307

Good times for sure!!
s

Very nice. Gotta love Erie. What an amazing place. Pretty crazy when you can average 8 pounds or better certain times of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back