Caribou Gear Tarp

Failed Scope

I have had 3 Leupold VX III's fail on me. All 3 were covered in warranty. I have not bought a Leupold in a while and the last scope I bought was a used Nightforce NXS. So far it has been fantastic.

I have had 3 Leupold VX III's fail on me. All 3 were covered in warranty. I have not bought a Leupold in a while and the last scope I bought was a used Nightforce NXS. So far it has been fantastic.

Unfortunately, this is becoming the norm with Leupold. I don't know what their issue is, but they had better fix it, or lose a lot of customers.

I had a Bushnell and a Burris fail me. My Leupolds have been perfect and that is all I buy now.

I had a red field wide field on a 7mm and it failed me big time! I had a easy shot at a huge Russian hog with the biggest tusks I've ever seen. I took it to the range thinking it was me, and I couldn't get it on the paper after holding tight groups before. There's a Leupold sitting on it now!

I bought a Burris years ago bore sighted it and then couldn't hit a 4" X 4" piece of plywood at 50 yards. Went back to Leopold

VX-III's or VX-3's? mtmuley

I have had two Burris handgun scopes fail(one mounted on a 45 Colt, the other on a 454 Casull). one, the reticle started rotating (with minimal use and very light loads) and the other the reticle separated in the middle and drifted apart. Both have been fixed under warranty, but I switched to a fixed 2x Leupold on the Casull with no problems to date.

I have had two Burris handgun scopes fail(one mounted on a 45 Colt, the other on a 454 Casull). one, the reticle started rotating (with minimal use and very light loads) and the other the reticle separated in the middle and drifted apart. Both have been fixed under warranty, but I switched to a fixed 2x Leupold on the Casull with no problems to date.

I had a Simmons that rotated a few degrees while I was trying to reef a Butler Creek scope cap off the ocular. I'm not sure if that's a failure, but the scope is now on rimfire duty. Held zero just fine on a 7 mm Rem Mag before that though.

I have had a leupold mark 4 fail before. The tracking was off and never tracked right or back to zero. Sent it in and they said they fixed it but haven't mounted it yet. All my guns have nightforce except on and never had a problem with them.

The first scope I bought to go on a new Model 700 was a Weaver V9 back in the 70's. I sighted it in and fired one more shot for confidence. At that shot it went black. Something broke loose inside. I took it back and the store gave me a new one. It's been great, still have it and it's taken some hard knocks through the years.

Had one fail twice, switched to another brand and moved on.
It's reall no different than rifles. Get rid of it if it's not performing.

Last edited:
I had 2 failed. Bushnell 3x9 with BDC bought in the 70's made in Japan. The other was a Swift (lifetime Warr) they replaced it, then I sold the replacment without mounting it. Now all of my gun glass is Leupold (M8, and various Vxxxx's)

My one Zeiss scope (conquest) would not adjust right out of the box. It went back and the model was discontinued so i got a refund. i have had two Burris scopes where the adjustments failed. My one Nikon Monarch is 20+ years old and continues to work fine.

I have had no issues with Leupolds or Redfields (i think the Redfields are a great bargain). HIgh end Bushnells (3200 on up) have all worked fine.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back