F150 longevity

It’s all creating an identity crisis for me. I don’t shoot metric calibers, pretty much only drink Coors & Beam, wear beater old hats, but still love my ancient, reliable, and very capable Tacoma. I don’t even know who I am or what tribe I’m supposed to belong to anymore.
It means you're not in a tribe! Congrats.

Are you saying you have a million miles on a batch of American cars with only scheduled maintenance? If so that is great. However, I have never heard a fan of American vehicles not include the “except for that water pump at 14,000 miles, that compressor recall at 30,000 and that cv joint at 45,000 miles it was a great vehicle” qualifier.

The avg american drives 14,000 miles a year so it would take 71 years to rack up a million miles.

Starting in 2010, I put 40-50k miles / year on company trucks for nearly a decade. All were F150s but one stint with a 2014 silverado. That silverado had a computer issue that made it seem like the tranny failed and needed service to be usable at like 60k. I have never had unscheduled maint on an F150 in that time (2010-2018 models). My current F150 is a 2016 model that started life as my company truck and I purchased from work in 2018 when it had 75k (that's when the company replaces them). It has 122k on it now and still has not had any unscheduled maint. So mostly talking experience with 1-2 year old trucks in the first 75k miles but its been good over the course of 5 different F150s.

I'd sure like to buy a new Tundra before my '16 starts having issues but it doesn't sound like the '22 tundras are trending so hot either..

The avg american drives 14,000 miles a year so it would take 71 years to rack up a million miles.
My post referenced my wife and I for 25 yrs. My oldest kid has been driving cars I got her for 15 yrs and the youngest two for a couple of years a piece. The cumulative 65 yrs of my wife, I and my oldest at our average of about 15,000 a year gets us to 975,000. The two youngest together get us over the top.

Bought a new one last week.

This one is an ecoboost, FX4, XLT, 6.5ft bed.

We’ll see how it goes.
It needs new tires, because why would you put anything but racing slicks on an off-road package?

I will say…. It’s an incredible upgrade from a 2013. The 10 speed transmission is always in the right gear.

Attachments

• 4F7C9ADA-5599-492C-B268-EDAB431BF1F5.jpeg
    4F7C9ADA-5599-492C-B268-EDAB431BF1F5.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 36
  • C290EF09-049A-4A6F-BFA4-DE02A919C368.jpeg
    C290EF09-049A-4A6F-BFA4-DE02A919C368.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 35

We’ll see how it goes.
It needs new tires, because why would you put anything but racing slicks on an off-road package?

I will say…. It’s an incredible upgrade from a 2013. The 10 speed transmission is always in the right gear.
5.0 or 3.5? Never mind, I see it’s an ecoboost.

Last edited:

We’ll see how it goes.

Good luck.

We’ll see how it goes.

Good looking truck.

Tundra OR package does a little better than racing slicks, but you've got to trade in your tow hooks for them.

Why’d you decide to go with another Ford?
Were you able to lean on them over the engine issues?
I have had multiple brand-new Chevy 1500 company vehicles and always just hated them.
I’ve never really liked the ram 1500s that much either. If I was getting a heavy duty truck, I would look pretty hard at Ram though.

I just like F150s.

I wouldn’t mind trying the powerboost hybrid but there’s very few on lots so they’re too much money.
And the leadtime on orders right now was very long. They have stopped taking 2022 orders and will not start taking 2023 orders for another week or two, for a December delivery. I didn’t really want to wait that long.

Figured I’d give the ecoboost a try.

My experience with F-150s has been similar. You have definitely sparked a match in some dry grass with this post. I'm in early and along for the ride.

My experience with F-150s has been so bad that I personally will never own another one. I realize it's roulette, but Ford lost me with knowing of certain problems (such as timing chain stretch on the early Ecoboosts) and doing nothing about it. For example, somewhere around 25% of the all the first gen 3.5 Ecoboosts experience severe timing chain stretch within their first 100,000 miles. You mean to tell me that a 25% failure rate of an engine doesn't justify a recall???

Also, I'm predicting a "buy a Tundra" post within the first 10 replies.
Had to do the timing chain on a 2018 with 80k miles. FORD should be paying for that. After another 7k$ in fixes I sold it and bought a tundra with twice the miles. I owned it a less than 2 years. Never again.

My F150 was a 2001 with the 4.6, bought at 32k, sold around 200k. The most costly repair by far was a clutch for $1,000 at around 100k. It did have its share of little issues. It got regular oil changes and not much else. Very different equipment from most of the discussion. For perspective vs current pricing, I bought it two years old with the 32k on it for $13,500.

I had a 2012 Tundra with a 4.6 following that. The general quality was a clear improvement (it was a higher trim level) but I did have an issue with the air pump system that wouldn't have been cheap to bring back to original equipment. 60k to 108k

Most recent truck is a 2017 F250 with the 6.2, it's been good but both noisy and thirsty. Bought at 92k. General quality seems noticeably below the Tundra (lower trim level again for the Ford), but it's a tool for me moreso than the 1/2 tons were and has been making/saving me $$$.

Hope everyone's truck's treat them as well as mine have treated me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back