Eyes going bad- scope question

Shangobango

While checking zero on a rifle last week I was alarmed that the image in the scope was blurry. Scope is a VX3 I bought last year. I was mad thinking the scope was bad, until I put on my dollar store readers and the image was crystal clear. Problem is I can’t see squat through these readers past 10 feet.

Will a side focus scope take care of this issue or should I be looking to get fitted with prescription eyeglasses or contacts? My concern is having to fit each rifle with a new scope is going to be much more expensive than eyewear.

Headed to the optometrist as soon as I can get in. Just looking for input from those that have had to deal with this.

Did you adjust your ocular lens?Here’s a link from leupold.

Edit to add, I know about parallax, which is what leupold calls the side focus, I am terrible at explaining it. It’s more getting your reticle and target coplanar for longer distance shots. Here is an article about that.

Good luck hopefully you get it figured out. I’d for sure start with the ocular lens.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yea that was the alarming part, last year when I mounted the scope and and adjusted it, and then signted it in, I did not notice the clarity being off. The reticle is adjusted fine. It is sharp and clear. Everything else is blurry.

I fought the issue for years, went to corrective lens and contacts, actually found a Doc that was a shooter, that helped. I finally had cataract surgery last spring on my shooting eye. Unbelievable. Not only are scope images better now then they have been in 20 years, I can resolve Iron sights again. Also seeing elk and deer better, truly amazing. If you are a candidate, get it done. Good luck I know the frustration.

Don't change your scope until your eyes are checked. I thought my Leupold Mark 4 had gone south, but had cataract in right eye. Doesn't sound like your problem, since it clears with readers, but cataracts act funny sometimes. (oops, see I overlapped with Salmonchaser). Great minds I suppose.

I noticed the same issue when shooting my muzzleloader this fall. I went to the eye doctor and yes he told me I needed some glasses. Crappy thing for me is I asked the wife the next day to go with me to pick out frames and the company I work for went on strike so my insurance will not cover it. Hopefully will be back to work soon. Until then I'm dealing with it. I've also noticed it while shooting my bow.

I fought the issue for years, went to corrective lens and contacts, actually found a Doc that was a shooter, that helped. I finally had cataract surgery last spring on my shooting eye. Unbelievable. Not only are scope images better now then they have been in 20 years, I can resolve Iron sights again. Also seeing elk and deer better, truly amazing. If you are a candidate, get it done. Good luck I know the frustration.
Good to hear, going through same thing right now

Sounds like I am on the right track as far as getting in front of an eye doctor.

Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back