PEAX Equipment

Extra Money

Lots and lots of OT is how I pay for most of my stuff. So far this year I think I have 4 weeks with less than 55 hours. Most weeks lately I have averaged close to 75 hours.

Ditto on the ot if you can swing it. I don't have kids, and most of my hobbies are highly seasonal, so when the weather sucks, it's not big game hunting season, and I don't have much to do, I work a ton. I'm gonna take home an additional 50 percent on top of my normal salary from working ot this year. That'll buy a lot of gear and fund a lot of trips during those precious few months from Sept. to November when I do the bulk of my hunting.

One thing Ive had to learn is to balance my outdoor related activities. When I was in my 20s, I'd always go bird hunting or fishing and spend a ton of money all year to regularly hook a few fish or shoot a few birds if I had money for gas and food. Nowadays, I pass on a lot of those marginal trips with high relative cost in favor of really getting after it when the gettings good.

I wish I lived somewhere where I had better hunting and fishing close to town, but I'm generally looking at at least 100 miles of driving just to catch a few fish or shoot a few birds. I've had to learn to seriously cut back on those types of day trips.

So I'm one of those adult onset hunters, have about 90% of the gear I need, and pretty much am down to getting binos and I should be set. Got the rifle, shotgun, good boots, camo, fishing gear, and canoe. Got the time, the public lands, and the desire. But how do you guys budget your outdoor activities? Do you use your regular money or do you put in OT or sell stuff or work side jobs? I'm a veteran, a student, and a tree trimmer. I have skills, and skills that can make me money(mostly tree trimming), but I'm trying to find ways to make some extra cash to get that nice pair of 'nocs without stealing from my regular income.
lol. all of the above. as a hunter you will perhaps aquire all you need but never ,ever will you aquire all you want.

I have a portion of every check direct deposited into a separate "play" account. Works for me and can add up fairly quickly if you forget about it
I started a goal setter savings last week that can only be accessed once a year. Contributing to this on a weekly basis to fund my future dall sheep hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back