MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Extra Magnums?

Duster

Does anybody out there shoot any of those new magnum types in a hunting rifle. I am speaking of the 30/378 Weatherby and it's bigger brother 338/378 Weatherby also the Remington Ultra mags. I am curious about them and could ya please tell the rest of us about hunting facts in the field about them.

Duster-I dont know much about the big magnums. I know Billy John has one (by the way he drew a Wyoming elk tag this year YAHOOOO) anyway his gun is so big he has to have wheels to drag it around!!!! You can tell when its him shooting tho!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
The sonic boom can only be mistaken by the real thing, and its hard to tell the difference!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Duster, I can't speak from experience, but I can comment on the technical end of the issue. The powder consumption of the Remington ultra mags compared to the velocity increase of the 300 WBY, the 7mm STW and the 7mm Wby and the 340 Wby, don't justify the rounds. For a 31% increase in powder over the 300 Wby, you get about 150 to 180 fps. That means that at 180 fps improvement, for every six feet of velocity you are adding one grain of powder. That is a little steep for me. With the rounds like the 30-378 Weatherby, at least you get some appreciable increase in velocity for the extra powder. About 400 fps over the 300 WBY. So I don't think that the RUM's are going to last. I think that people will get tired of the extra noise and recoil, and will start to see the disadvantage they are at. If you need more rifle than a 338 winchester, you need a lot more rifle. I would say that the next appreciable improvement over the 338 winchester would be in the 358 STA class or perhaps the 338-378 Weatherby. That is unless you want to go into the wildcats. Then you have an entire new world to look at. Rounds like the 30 caliber Barnes Supreme and the 6X62 Durham Magnum. Now you are talking real bullet burners.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back