MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Extended Hide Preservation

wolfpup

I have a deer and elk tag second season. I will hunt for deer first. If all goes well I will have my deer the first day. I plan to either tan the hide and keep whole for some house decor, or I will get it treated and make gloves. If I take salt and apply a generous amount, toss in a game bag in the cooler, will the flesh be ok for either scenario 7 days or more later? Is there any products you would recommend for decor vs. gloves to tan myself or should I just have someone tan for me? I am not going to go through the brain tanning process so this would be over the counter products.

McKenzie makes a deer skin tanning kit if you choose to DIY for home décor. I used it for two hides and was pleased with the results.

Salt it twice and then keep it cool. Once it is salted correctly it will keep in a cool place for months. Get as much meat off of the hide as possible then salt it down with fine grain salt, let if stand for a day or so then take off the old salt and put fresh on it. After that sits for a couple of days it will be set til tanning. Deer hides are usually about $100 to get tanned. Moyle Mink and Tannery does a good job.

All meat and fat must come off before you salt it, or its a PITA to get off later.

If you salt it, roll it out flat in such a way that the moisture can drain off the hide (set on slight incline) Leave the salt on for at least 24 hrs. Deer hides are pretty thin, and will set pretty easy, a secondary salting probably won't be needed. After 24 hours, shake the salt off and let it dry out a bit before rolling up and putting in a game bag.

Alternatively, the hide will keep as well as meat. Meaning if you keep it cold and dry it will last quite a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back