Exo 3500 or 5500

Dieseldog

Looking at both packs. Does the 5500 cinch down to a nice day pack size and not big and clumsy when not using it all? Or should a guy go with the 3500. Plan on backpack camping more this year but will only be 3-4night trips at most. As that's probably all I can get my friends to go for before they need a motel. I'm kinda leaning towards the 5500 as a just in case move. Also will be used as a day pack for late season hunts where we will be truck hunting and staying in a camper or motel. Is the 5500 overkill or is there no replacement for displacement?

I have a Stone Glacier 5100, I often wish it was a smidgen bigger and never once have wished it was smaller. I'm run pretty ultralight; eg... marmot helium bag, neolight pad, MSR Hubba Hubba with just the fly, 3l camel back, MSR pocket rocket and freeze dried food and my bag is pretty much at capacity for a 5 day hunt in oct. If I use the meat shelf I can squeeze out 10 days.

I often take my stone glacier for upland hunting as it cinches down to nothing, Exo makes good packs I would guess they would be similar in this regard.

I purchased a 5500 and have no regrets on size. I also have a 7000 Stone Glacier. They Both cinch down easily enough. I just figured spending that much money I wanted a bag that was more versatile in size. I agree with your statement. There's no replacement for displacement. I can haul a lot of ding dongs and ho ho's in that bad boy :)

i've used the 3500 for 3 years now and never felt like i needed a bigger pack. The longest backpack hunt that I've done out if it was 7 days. I definitely know that is can hold more than I can carry too!

Flip a coin a pick. Either one will pack more weight than you need. The 3500 will do for a 4 night,,,, if you don’t take the kitchen sink. I have the 3500.

You can get by with the 3500 if you know what you are doing. I have a 5500 but I really don't need all that room, usually I bring to much junk because of it.

I have the 3500 and it has way more space that you would think. Could definitely get you through 3-4 days packed efficiently.

I run the 5500 as a day pack. No issues. Check facebook group Exo Mountain Gear and Mountain hunting tons of Exo users.

Neither the 3500 nor 5500 sizes account for the pockets or lid or load shelf space if I remember right. 3500 has been useful for me for both day hunts and several day trips. If I were to be hunting in AK or weeklong trips I'd bump to the 5500.

Neither the 3500 nor 5500 sizes account for the pockets or lid or load shelf space if I remember right. 3500 has been useful for me for both day hunts and several day trips. If I were to be hunting in AK or weeklong trips I'd bump to the 5500.

Yeah I just looked into this a bit more and will revise my statement... you should be fine with the 3500. A stone glacier 5100 is 5100ci total a exo 3500 is really more like 4200+ because they don't include the volume of the pockets, brain, etc in the size of the pack.

Ive always been a fan of having more room and not needing it than not having enough. If you have the $ you can just buy both a 3500 and get a 5500 bag only so you have both and can switch out on the same frame depending what you need but at only .3 lbs weight difference between the 3500 and 5000 I think just having a 5500 and cinching it down when you dont need the extra space is much better than spending $250 for the 2 bag set up. Im in the market for a new bag and Im down to the Exo 5500, SG Evo and Seek Broadwing 7000, I want to try all of them on first before pulling the trigger. Just down to the Seek Boradwing which Ill try in Grand Junction in a month. Sure I cant go wrong with any of these.

Always keep in mind just because you have the space doesnt mean you have to fill it. I am mind boggled by all the people who thru hike trails like the Continental Divide Trail or PCT with next to nothing.

Randy has a great bag dump vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_QcASb1Z0&t=8s

And on the other end of the spectrum check this out - Im not this militant packing but if you see this as a base line it good to see what you can get away with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvYCf_-UfA

They do military and emergency personnel(police, fire, EMT). Just send them a message or call they will give you a code.

Get the 5500...it folds down to the same size as the 3500 when empty. I use the 5500 for day hunts as well as overnights.

Get the 5500...it folds down to the same size as the 3500 when empty. I use the 5500 for day hunts as well as overnights.

Thanks. I have already ordered the 3500. It's on backorder maybe I can switch it yet. But I think the 3500 will work fine. I doubt I will be doing a 7 day backpack hunt if I do I will order another bag. If I have a big bag I will just load it up with dumb stuff like a microwave and generator and the directtv tailgater haha . I'm a very inefficient packer.

Thanks. I have already ordered the 3500. It's on backorder maybe I can switch it yet. But I think the 3500 will work fine. I doubt I will be doing a 7 day backpack hunt if I do I will order another bag. If I have a big bag I will just load it up with dumb stuff like a microwave and generator and the directtv tailgater haha . I'm a very inefficient packer.

Haha that's very true. The more it holds the more stuff i put in one i don't really need.

Facebook group. Exo Mountain Gear and Mountain Hunting. Ask to join. I will approve you. We have Of the guys from Exo that just joined the group. Mark and Steve from Exo. They monitor the page and answer lots of questions. Great group. Not only for Exo users open to everyone. Congrats on the new pack.

I think you'll be happy with the 3500. I've had mine for 3 years and love it! I did a 3 day trip in Colorado with it and had room to spare, I don't have much for ultra lite gear either. I love it as a day pack, I take a dry bag to keep everything at camp that I don't want to carry around in the mountains. The same dry bag usually carries my sleeping bag and some clothes on the load shelf between the bag and frame. I strap it to my climber when I'm walking into my tree during deer season. Its a very versatile pack, make sure your belt cinches down tight enough, I thought I needed a medium belt but had to switch out for a small! They have awesome customer service!

I went with the 5500 because I don't have a lot of lightweight compact gear and it has worked fine. It clinches down easily so it isn't too bulky or awkward for day hunt.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back