Ever considered a career change to hunt more?

I keep re-reading your comment and still don't understand why you put half the benefits with the downsides.

To clarify, I was attempting to get my wife to marry me during this time period.

So basically I set the bar super low during that period and she still said yes... maybe that should be a piece of marital advice for the forum, "make sure when your dating the only direction you can go is up once you get married"

To clarify, I was attempting to get my wife to marry me during this time period.

So basically I set the bar super low during that period and she still said yes... maybe that should be a piece of marital advice for the forum, "make sure when your dating the only direction you can go is up once you get married"

Ah, well, tricking women into thinking we're not gross is important. I used to ride a bike 9 miles to work, so my personal hygiene has actually gone up.

I
Didn't read all answers so someone may have already said it. Own your own business. If your fotuneate enough to succed there is a catch. You have to be willing to pay someone else enough that you can get away from the day to day and trust them to do things correctly. I have one buddy that has done this and he's living the life. Hunts and fishes his butt off, does all the family stuff and also has gotten into some other small businesses because he's not tied to the day to day of his main business. I have another buddy who is just as successful but can't bring himself to pay someone else what it would take. We're talking about taking a cut to your profit and he just can't swallow it. He also just got out hunting for the first time this past weekend.
If only I had a viable idea!

My hunting/fishing/recreation time isn’t close to what I would like due to my career. I have good benefits though and have the ability to retire when I’m 52. I doubt I will make a change, too much to gain by sticking it out.

I guess I’ve never gotten hung up on being able to retire at X age, for hunting purposes. A lot of people seem to mention that. The hunts I want to do I need to be doing right now, not at 50, 55 or 60. Realistically speaking.

Plus I would be bored out of my mind after 3 days. If I was into fishing, I couldn’t retire soon enough.

Nope. I like working from home. Dual monitor setup. Work on the left screen, onX on the right.
I'm about 10 months in with my first work at home job, I'm still wondering if i'm doing it right as I'm used to working at a office with clock watchers (including myself)

So far it seems surreal with the freedom, although I have a family so I still have to do the errands before/after school, so until the little ones are old enough to tag along after school, I still have to stay home until mom gets back from work... but I can definitely fish/hunt more vs the office job that made me stay atleast 8 hours a day...

I'm about 10 months in with my first work at home job, I'm still wondering if i'm doing it right as I'm used to working at a office with clock watchers (including myself)

So far it seems surreal with the freedom, although I have a family so I still have to do the errands before/after school, so until the little ones are old enough to tag along after school, I still have to stay home until mom gets back from work... but I can definitely fish/hunt more vs the office job that made me stay atleast 8 hours a day...

Yeah, even a good day's work feels like you're getting away with something.

I did that for 3.5 years... benefits: getting to hunt spring bear everyday for a month... downsides: human contact, personal hygiene, and a debilitating addiction to a hunting forum that I still can't seem to shake

Ha. I'm on 14 years of this gig. Although the first 10 were 80-90%travel. Now with gotomeeting, gotoconnect, WebEx, TeamViewer, etc - I don't need to travel nearly as much. So the human contact (or at least some outside time), personal hygiene (it's time for a shower and shave) - and yes an addiction to this site....

Ha. I'm on 14 years of this gig. Although the first 10 were 80-90%travel. Now with gotomeeting, gotoconnect, WebEx, TeamViewer, etc - I don't need to travel nearly as much. So the human contact (or at least some outside time), personal hygiene (it's time for a shower and shave) - and yes an addiction to this site....
thats what alot of people ask and alot say "I couldnt do it because i wouldnt get anything done...etc" but i find it the opposite and with the various conference calls it works just fine and now I dont think I could ever go back to a office job

I think about this all the time! I took two years off after college (because I didnt get to hunt) to elk hunt....which back fired because I still havent gotten my first one (we have a week left right? Miracles exist...I think). The original plan was to go to medical school...but the lifestyle doesnt afford a lot of hunting time. I get a little dissuaded everytime I talk to a doctor that hates their job/life (which has been quite a few). As to being a business owner, my parents own a business and they work insane hours...so it really depends on the type of business and how you run it. Finding a decent paying job in Montana is a real struggle.
I'm still bouncing around options.

Now winning the lottery sounds like the ticket!

If you go medical go work directly for hospital after med school so you don’t have to worry about running a business.

One of the main reasons I’m working where I am. I’ll have been off for 24 days straight this coming Monday when I go back to work. Plus I took a week off this spring and I’ll carry a week of vacation to next year. I don’t particularly enjoy my job but it sure let’s me do the things I enjoy

Rotational oilfield work is one idea. I would pick a skill that is transferable outside the oilfield like electrician, field engineer etc.
take two weeks of vacation with that schedule and you have six weeks off.
I realize that is not the whole fall but it’s a lot.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back