Yeti GOBOX Collection

European panels

mdunc8

I've got a couple skulls hanging on the wall that I'd like to throw on wood panels for a little better viewing perspective. What size panels have you guys used for antelope, deer, and elk? My skulls are pretty high on the wall and I don't have a ladder handy to measure them. McKenzie has some nice walnut panels of varying size: 4 5/8" x 9 3/8", 6 1/4" x 12", 8" x 14 1/2", and 8" x 8 1/2". I would imagine the panels come with mounting instructions, but how do you mount the skulls to the plaque? Sorry for the ignorance. Us east coast natives don't have too much experience with european mounts.

I've got a couple skulls hanging on the wall that I'd like to throw on wood panels for a little better viewing perspective. What size panels have you guys used for antelope, deer, and elk? My skulls are pretty high on the wall and I don't have a ladder handy to measure them. McKenzie has some nice walnut panels of varying size: 4 5/8" x 9 3/8", 6 1/4" x 12", 8" x 14 1/2", and 8" x 8 1/2". I would imagine the panels come with mounting instructions, but how do you mount the skulls to the plaque? Sorry for the ignorance. Us east coast natives don't have too much experience with european mounts.

8 x 14 will definitely work for deer and antelope without being able to measure the skulls. If it is a smaller antelope or smaller deer skull then maybe the 6 x 12. For elk, definitely something in the 10 x 20 range without measuring the skull. I have mounted spike elk on a 8x17 and done just fine but a big mature bull you will probably need a 10x23 plaque to make it look good.

I will drill one hole for deer and antelope and 2 holes for an elk and i will drill right below the brain cavity and then just align it up with the plaque on how you want it to sit and drill holes into the plaque and then just drill the skull to the plaque. They do come with instructions and screws but I typically throw the screws away and use my own.

I usually go with 7 1/2" x 14" for deer and antelope, and the only elk I have done is on 12 3/4" x 21 1/4" and it looks pretty good. Get them from here:http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/European-Panels-C2088.aspx

Here are some examples of what they look like on those sizes.

IMGP0471.JPG
IMG_0890.JPG
IMGP0162.JPG
IMG_0891.jpg

I like to use a dry wall bolt to attach deer and antelope skulls.
screen-capture-5.png

Just drill through the plaque, line up the skull, drill through the skull and put the bolt in. For the elk I just used a large standard nut and bolt, with the same technique, its just harder to get the nut threaded.

I have always wondered how the arrow head plaque would look and I have always been hesitant on buying it but that looks great, good job.

Here are some I have made that work well for Whitetail and mule deer. The just slide the post in the spinal cord hole in the back of the skull and it will hang there. This makes it handy for changing skulls around without having to move plaques. I can take one off and replace it with another deer. A screw can be run through the back of the panel into the back of the skull to make it a permanent mount

The plaque itself is 14 3/4 x 8 1/2 at the widest point. These are made out of cheap pine that I have burned slightly with a torch and stained with golden oak. I have made several out of oak and cedar the same and they turned out very nice.

Attachments

• plaques1.jpg
    plaques1.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 715
  • plaques2.jpg
    plaques2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 720
If they are euro, those hangers work kick a$$. If you are a wood guy, these look nice. I think wyoming566 (?) makes/sells these at a very nice price. Cabelas has them too.

I have used mckenzie panels in walnut and oak for years.Always used the 8x14 for deer and alot of my customers really like them too.Plenty of good bone to secure too so that should be no problem.I have had people asking for the plastic or fake skulls and have done right many of them too,except they are kinda pricey.For myself i have always done the boiling way,i like that better.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back