Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

European Mount

Bob/AK

Back in November I took a decent buck up in Unit 10-A.
I whacked the antlers/skull plate off and figured I'd do a simple antler mount. While searching the net for mounting plaques I discovered some reproduction skulls. They have the skull plate cut out to accept your antlers. So I ordered a med-large size whitetail skull.
I used 2 part epoxy to cement my antlers to the repro skull.
I then used Marine Tex epoxy to transition the fit between the antlers and the repro skull. I then masked off the antlers right to the burrs and painted it Birch White using automotive paint.
The next part of the project was making a suitable plaque.
I figured what better than a plaque shaped like the state of Idaho :)
I used some 1½" thick high density urethane foam board. The edges got routed then everything got primed, primed again and then painted.
All three pieces are secured with 1/4" lag bolts into counterbored holes.
I cut the base off of a spent 300 Win Mag case and mounted it geographically just about where I shot the buck.
This display can hang on the wall or free stand on any flat surface.
I'm planning on doing others using oak and similar hard woods.
Also I'm planning on using different shapes like arrow heads for the panel that holds the skull.
Here's some pics.
Bob/AK
skullmount1.jpg

skullmount2.jpg

I especially like the plaque. Not that it is from Idaho or nothing but I've never seen a european mount done up like that. Very nice looking.

What part of 10-A were you in? There are some good whitey's in certain spots. Thats where mine came from this year. I'm still working at getting my euro done, been kinda lazy.

That lookes very good. I just did my wife's elk, but I left it kinda dark, didn't like it "bleach" white. here is a pic.

100_0422.jpg

That is indeed a nice looking and creative set-up!

Bill is there a plague in Idaho :eek: :eek: ....I bet Moosie started it ;)

Back