PEAX Equipment

Episode 16 goHUNT

MC n NV

Just finished listening to the latest podcast. It was another great episode, I loved hearing Lorenzo's hunt stories. Hearing how goHUNT came to be and why was all very interesting. I'm not convinced it's for me yet, but that's mostly because I'm really cheap.
Anyway, this got me thinking. I live here in Reno, drive by UNR everyday on my way to work, and have only hunted in Nevada. I enjoy studying the hunt book, trying to figure out the best units to put in for, calculating all the variables. It keeps involved in my hunt during the off season. This makes me an out-lyer, I get that. For those hunting multiple states, what I consider a past-time, is a mind boggling brain cramp for others,
So, I see the need and value of goHUNT. My question is: Will it actually change the draw odds as we move forward? With a tool like this, I can see hunters with a bunch of points finding units they're willing to spend them on now. Conversely, hunters who found it too much trouble to do the work can now jump in. I don't know that either is good or bad, I'm not passing judgement. I just wonder if it will actually change the system it is trying to demystify?

Very interesting questions I imagine time will answer. Still it seems like a good resource
I for one was happy to hear so much about nevada in this podcast. To date I think this is the most it's been mentioned

Those are good questions, MC. Personally, I doubt goHUNT will change the draw odds. The majority of people will get their information from one of the research services, from one of the magazines that supposedly has the inside scoop, from the unit their outfitter recommends, or from internet threads they read. Many who play the western point game have been piling up points by using one of the services who do applications for you. Their only interest is drawing one of the "glory tags." That is good for the rest of us.

I subscribe to one of the research services and have done so for years. Mostly for the reason of knowing where they are recommending and I take those off my list. I don't want to be competing with the mass of people who have relied upon them for years and have stacks of points that will make the draw odds very low. If you see it on our show, the odds are it is not one of the recommended units you read about in a magazine.

So, I doubt it will have much impact on draw odds. I do think it will give people a lot of clarity to what is going on. I've picked up some new information in the last two weeks that tell me I am going to do all I can to burn points in some places this year and I am telling my son to get his archery skills sharpened up so we can hunt together. There are some places where 2016 will be an excellent year for some species. I will expand on that after the draw deadlines.

Beast, since I graduated from college in Nevada and spent three years after that hunting, fishing, and trapping, it is high on my list of places to hunt. And given the excellent job NDOW does with such marginal habitat, faced with so many invasive plants and feral horses, I think everyone should know more about how Nevada does so much with so little.

Just got off the phone with Brandon at goHUNT with a question about draw odds and point creep. Very knowledgeable and helpful, and sounds like they have a great product. I dropped your name as where I heard about them.

I've enjoyed some of the free content off their site the past few days also. The Region G mule deer hunt was a great video. Will plan to subscribe in a few years when I can make use of it - can't go west again for a hunt until I get 2 of my boys into kindergarten. Overall looks like a great site.

I thought it was a good podcast and I wanted to say. Big Fin the best parts of your podcast are about conservation. Everyone who hunts has hunting stories but not conservation stories this is my favorite subject of research. Keep it up.

Listened yesterday. Another great one BF.
I was going to ask you about their services & what you get after listening to Lorenzo and his take,passion and involvement with RMEF.
He won me over with being a Muley hunter too.....well maybe 2nd after elk now,being where I am.

It is truly the Golden Age of modern elk here.

Back