Emmys first gobbler!

Wally Dog

Emmy's first turkey hunt, the players: Emily (11 yrs), Mom & Dad, 30 or 40 something.
Blind was set up Thursday night...........

Saturday morning 4 24 04............

Awake at 0500, leaving house at 0530
While opening the gate on landowners property gobblers are sounding off 60 yards distant. Parked truck, place decoys and saddled into the "turkey silo" for the morning. 2-4 toms were gobbling 150-200 yards distant. Likely heard 300+ gobbles in the tree and shortly after flydown. But as per fairly normal the birds went the other way.
We heard a gobble every 15 minutes or so, but they were distant and due to breeze blowing from them not sure if they can even hear me.
I broadcast call on wingbone, box, diaphragm & Roberts Bros glass calls. Periodically I think I get an answer. 0800, 0900, finally a hen breaks the mounting boredom and announces then shows her presence. Moments of excitement and she walks away. 1000, 1030, 1045 I look outta the silo and see just the top of a "full" fan some 80 yards distant. I proclaimed his presence to Em & Cynthia. He was partially hidden for a moment then appeared in all his glory...full strut, head ablaze with passion and marching our way quickly. The insuing pandemonium (and his marching speed) allowed him to close the distance and begin circling the Jake decoy I had deployed before we were prepared for the shot. Now, gun ready.....time for the shot, safety off, "remember where to hold EM", oops safety still ON..........flinch, off, bang.
Very dead gobbler........hugs, high fives (that Emmy felt for an hour), shaking legs, what a smile!!!!!
Vital statistics: Rio Grande gobbler, 21.3 # on certified scale, 10" very full beard, 1 1/8" sharp, limbhanger spurs.
It truly was a remarkable morning. We were blessed to have such a fine place to hunt, hear the river bottom wake up, and have a real stud gobbler provide my daughter the opportunity to harvest the 'King of the Spring".
Emmys_first_gobbler_4_24_04.jpg

Emmys_first_gobbler_by_silo_4_24_04.jpg

Wally,

Congrats to Emmy for gettin' a big one... I want to be just like her, when I grow up...

Are you looking to adopt, so I can be like Emmy? I could call you "Dad".....

When I looked down toward the River this weekend, I noticed some huge structure, now I know it was just you....
I was wondering how big the Silo had to be, to be able to hide all 3 of you.

Awesome day in the woods. Many congrats to Emmy and a great picture to hold the memories.

Ahhh thats one happy looking kid ya got there.. And to think at the Turkey Banquet she was doubting her guide the DAD ;)

Fantastic hunt! That's burned into her memory for life.

That unit 38 hunt is fun. Just a short drive and a person is in the wilds of the river bottom.

That is simply awesome!! Thanks for sharing and be sure to tell her congrats from me too.

Good on you Dad!!

That is a great bird and it's about the same size as the little girl, it will be a monster in her mind for every....Thanks for sharing such a precious treasure with the rest of us.... :D :D :D

Congrats on such a fine hunt Emily and a great bird.

Congrats to Mom and Dad for bring up such a fine young lady in the real world.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back