Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk Talk - SYSTEM for finding bulls on public land

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Now that we have highlighted how to apply for tags in many of the elk states, even leftover and OTC tags, now we are starting the next part of the Elk Talk series - finding bull elk on public land. This is not about finding cows and young bulls. This is not about finding bulls on private land. This is about finding the hardest elk to hang your tag on - highly pressured mature bulls that live on public land.

This next video is a bit longer. It is an overview of the system I use to locate elk on public land. It will sound pretty simple. But, most guys I talk to don't know what elk have as their highest priority need during the season they have a tag. Elk are going to be where they can satisfy their needs; specifically their highest priority need.

This video talks about the four basic needs; food, water, security, and breeding. It then discusses the five seasonal periods during which we hunt elk; early season, pre-rut, peak rut, post-rut, and late season. The reason those seasonal periods are important is because the primary need of public land bull elk changes during each of those periods. And since the primary need changes, so does the location where elk go to satisfy that need. You will find elk in the locations that allows them to satisfy that primary need with the least amount of effort and risk.

IMG_1938.JPG

https://youtu.be/zZjhYLafB48

The following videos in this part of the series will go into more depth of the need priority for each of the five seasonal periods. Once we explain the elk needs from highest to lowest, that will tell you where the elk can be found in that seasonal period.

Thanks for watching. I hope you will share with friends and ask them to subscribe to these free videos.

Great job on another informative video. Looking forward to the series!

Excellent video.

Last year this was all potentially coming out in book form. Is that still the case?

Excellent video.

Last year this was all potentially coming out in book form. Is that still the case?

It is supposed to, but it has been a tough winter. My liver has not been treating me well the last few months and doing the travelling road shows have pretty much taken most of my time and have required that I rest a lot to make sure I am OK for those appearances. But, I'm still hoping that will be a project I can get to.

Really, really, good. This is exactly what I am looking for. Can't wait for the next one!

Fin, As much as I want to pick your brain for information and see these great videos. Your first priority has to be to take care of yourself. So you do that and we'll manage.

Prayers sent,
Wally

Get well Randy! We'll all buy the book, sooner or later....

Health is most important....

Great Videos!!! I am looking forward to putting it to the test in my hunt this year. I hunt the OTC any bull hunt here in Utah. And the hunt ope on October 8. I have been learning a lot over the last few years, and am looking forward to applying this new knowledge. I hope you get feeling better and survive TAX season.

Thanks
Matt

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back