Caribou Gear Tarp

ELK TALK - All things elk hunting

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
We posted this link last week, but when the data base got hammered and we restored the data base back up, this post got left out.

Anyhow, we are starting a weekly series about elk hunting, titled Elk Talk, available only on your YouTube Channel. We have produced this with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Our purpose is to give information that will help anyone scale the hurdles that come with western elk hunting.

Topics will be broken into three main categories:

1. Getting a tag - We will talk about draw systems, what system each state uses, then do a separate video for each stated, starting with Wyoming that will be up tomorrow. We will then go into the OTC, left-over and general tags available to those who did not draw a limited entry tag. Obviously, no tag, no hunt.

2. Planning your hunt - In these segments we will talk about the resources we use for our desk scouting, how we go about locating areas we may have never been to, and other topics that will hopefully help folks feel they have some good starting points.

3. Executing the plan - These segments will focus on ideas we use once we get there, mostly focused on where you will find elk in the season you are hunting. It is the core of my seminars; what we have come to call a "System" approach to finding elk.​

None of this is because I am the world's greatest elk hunter. Rather, a case could be made that anyone who gets as many elk hunts as I do should have far more elk to their credit. If there is one thing that comes from a lot of elk hunting, it is the benefit of making lots of mistakes and hopefully not repeating those mistakes.

Hopefully people are not looking for "overlooked units" or GPS coordinates or the newest gizmo that will put a 350" bull in their truck. If so, go Google some of the stuff by the other TV guys. They've got that down pat; get out your check book.

This is all about public land elk hunting; specifically public land bull elk that get a ton of hunting pressure.

Some of you are probably already subscribers to our YouTube Channel. If you are, thank you. If you are not, I would ask you the favor of subscribing and the additional favor of sharing with your friends. What you will see on our digital platforms in the next year is going to be something no other TV show is able to do. By subscribing to our YouTube Channel, you will be the first to know when it gets loaded up.

Here is a link to the Elk Talk playlist on our YouTube channel, or click on the image below - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLdxutimd-JucEFczP4LgCS75Lt7caIMm

Elk Talk-001.jpg

Here is the video that is an overview of the Elk Talk series - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2yeFtkTZ7s&list=PLLdxutimd-JucEFczP4LgCS75Lt7caIMm

Here is the first video that explains the different point systems used by each state - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSU2XtyEtAA&list=PLLdxutimd-JucEFczP4LgCS75Lt7caIMm

Hope you like it.

Thanks Randy. Definitely a great time to learn how to elk hunt. Thanks to you and so many other great hunters out there willing to share their knowledge with beginners like myself, hopefully it means more hunters and more full freezers. Not to mention more allies in the coming battle for our public lands.

Looking forward to this, as I'm planning a hunt right now I'm still trying to figure out if I'm looking for the right things. Give me a map of whitetail country and I can get a good idea of where the funnels are, but looking at elk country I couldn't tell you why one line on a topo map would be more attractive than another line on a topo

Randy, not elk specific but a cheat sheet like this for application due dates would be a great tool for many that are either new to the application process or are applying in several different states.

Thanks Randy. FYI, I experienced a few playback issues (no sound, fast forward) around the 4:30 mark. Maybe just me but thought you might want to know.

Would you mind giving it another look? It looks fine for me. Maybe YouTube hadn't fully finished processing it yet.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back