Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Elk Rifle of Choice?

A lot of it depends on your type of hunting too. Magnums are effective for long shots, but not needed for closer shots. If you talk to the DOW they'll tell you the majority of elk are killed under 150yds.

Before turning to muzzleloaders all I used was a Win 94 in 30-30. It never let me down, but I didn't try long shots.

have fun , bullet design and placement are more important than caliber , choose any of the above but make sure you can accurately shoot it

If you're from out East...then definitely need a magnum, they say that's the only thing you can kill an elk with.

If you're from the West...then .243 up will do the trick.

If you don't want to buy a new rifle and are a skilled with your 25-06, it will do the job with good shot placement and a good bullet. I'd definitely load up some 120 grain nosler paritions and see if your rifle likes them.

If you are looking for an excuse for a new rifle, then that is one thing. If this is a one-trip only, then load some 120 premiums in your 06 and go hunt with confidence. You will not be under-gunned, as long as you don't take ridiculous shots. In spite of what some people seem to think, elk are not bullet-proof and a double lung gets you an elk.

If you want a new rifle, you don't need a magnum (unless, of course, you have caught magnumitis). I shoot 7 mags and love them, but doing it over again, I would have a 7-08 or two and call it good.

Elk may not be bullet proof and a double lung shot will kill them...but, elk aren't always cooperative and I'd hate to have one move at the last second and try to break a shoulder down with a 25-06 and have a decent shot at a killing shot. But, yes, elk are killed every year with a 25-06, no doubt...just wouldn't be my go to weapon of choice.

My .54 caliber muzzle loader has done a fine job on them for the past several years; shot placement is the key. If you are comfortable with your 25-06, by all means hunt with it. Good Hunting.

A 467 grain Easton Axis tipped with a 100 grain Shuttle T :D But, I'm 0-7 due to my own pride and stupidity. But, if the OP is comfortable with his 25-06, then by all means, use it. But, my 30-06 killed the hell out of my cow a few years back...3 steps and she dropped dead.

I killed my biggest bull to date with a .257 weatherby shooting 115 Barnes at about 3400fps. Complete pass through and devastating results.

All the rest of my bigger Bulls have been taken with a 70 lbs Mathews Bow😎

All that being said. I did feel under gunned on my biggest bull (not sure why but probably from listening to too many people's advice) so I now have a custom 300 WSM. It is an awesome gun and it is an amazing round.

The funny thing is...last time I went rifle elk hunting I had the 257 in my hand. I shoot that gun so well and have all the confidence in the world.

Take whatever you shoot best and don't look back but also buy another gun just for fun. You never know if you will like the new one better. JMO

My go to rifle is my 30-06, but I bring my 300 win mag as a back up because you might bump your scope or drop your rifle and I like the 300 for windy days because it has a little more punch. And I always take a back up rifle on any hunt, and a few times, I have ended up needing it. Buy the new rifle :D

If you're hunting with your dad. Why not just use his 7mm? It's not like you'll be shooting two elk at the same time.

I bought a Sako Finnlight 300 WSM a couple years ago. It is super light for hauling around, hardly kicks, with pretty much 1 shot kills on everything from Wyo antelope, dall sheep, mtn goat, bear to elk. For a light 30 cal it hardly kicks! When I first picked it up I could tell everything about it was quality...made in Finland!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back