Caribou Gear

Elk otc

tmvikings

What states offer over the counter elk tags for archery? Whats the best one with the most public land?
Utah?
Colorado?
Idaho?
Oregon?
Washington?

Thanks

Out of the states you listed Colorado and Idaho are easily the tops for opportunity in an OTC type situation.

Every state you listed technically has OTC archery elk opportunities. Like SFC says Colorado and Idaho have the most opportunity, but Oregon has a decent amount as well.

Most the elk I know about in Montana were either destroyed by Grizz, wiped out during the shoulder seasons, or headed north into Canada.

You obviously have a computer, yet you ask a basic question like that? Hate to be rude, but what’s next, GPS cords to a good spot? You’ll get more help if you come on showing you’ve done some homework.

Even though it’s not an otc I think Montana would offer some good hunting on public land for archery. I’ve never been able to archery hunt up here due to work but always find sign made during the rut a few months earlier when I rifle hunt. After the rifle opener things change quickly and elk, especially bulls are like finding a needle in a haystack when carrying a rifle, and the terrain/weather can greatly limit the range a rifle hunter can cover.

Man, you guys are rough...
Colorado and Idaho
Do your research and put miles on your boots
Get elk university and elknut playbook... And
Good luck

I agree those were some rough response for a guy just trying to start a conversation. He had already done some homework because he listed states with OTC tags.
You could go hunt any of the states listed this year and I'm sure have a great hunt. I agree with CTEalk83 that Idaho and Colorado would be your best choice for OTC. Utah would a poor choice unless you or a friend know the area you plan to hunt. There is no reason to drive past Colorado and through Idaho to OTC archery hunt Oregon or Washington. Montana and Wyoming don't have OTC for nonresidents but with a little planing can provide a nonresident regular archery hunting opportunity.
I don't want to sound like I'm trying to discourage you but want to give you my opinion about what to expect. If you have never been elk hunting or out west hunting, you will find OTC elk very challenging. If you are new to western hunting, trying to even see an elk on public land with an OTC tag is going to be very difficult, let alone kill one with your bow. If you do get lucky enough to kill an elk, dealing with all the meat and getting it off the mountain before it spoils is also a very challenging task some people don't properly plan for. Calling in a bull elk is not near as easy as it appears on TV. Many of the bulls killed by OTC archery hunters were not called in. Most OTC archery units have success around 10% to 20%. A large majority of those that tag an elk with an OTC archery have considerable elk hunting experience and have put in a lot of effort. An old saying goes "10% of the fisherman, catch 90% of the fish". I think the same could be said for OTC archery elk hunters. 10% of the archery elk hunters are seeming to tag an elk every year. The other 90% of the OTC archery hunters might put in a lot of effort but rarely tag an elk. I know dozens of guys who have killed elk with their bow on OTC hunts in Idaho, and I can't think of one that put a tag on on elk the first year they hunted with a bow. If this is your first hunt, plan on it being more of a learning experience than a realistic chance at taking home an elk.
Even though OTC archery elk is very challenging, it is also very addictive. The challenge is what makes it rewarding.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back