Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Elk muzzleloading question

Paisano

I'm brand new to muzzleloading and have been researching guns and loads for a few weeks. I have to ask some of you experienced elk hunters, what is the deal with everybody saying muzzleloaders are good for 200 yards? What is a realistic range for an ethical kill on a bull? I may be missing something but, in most of the stuff I've read, the ballistics seem to show ft/lbs of energy would be questionable (<1500) past 150 yards. And, it sounds like a lot of elk hunters aren't using maximum powder charges for a variety of reasons. What kind of load and distance do you guys shoot out there in the real world??

Thanks for the help.

I dont know about everyone else but I can tell you what works for me here in New Mexico. I am using a Thompson Center Bone Collector 50 cal, shoot 245 grain powerbelts and 150 grains/3pellets of triple seven, I have a group at 100 yards the size of a 50 cent piece. I have taken one bull at 183 yards and I took another bull at 200 yards with this setup. Neither bull went more than 30 yards.

This one is a pet peeve of mine. Primitive weapons (bow, muzzie, spear, rock) are not rifles and have limitations. Here in Utah the state limits muzzleloaders to 1x power scopes or open sights. This caps most people around 150 yards.

My grandpa told me three things I have always honored.

1) Just because you can see it doesn't mean you should shoot at it.

2) Rather than blaze away from here why don't we sneak closer.

3) Forget bullets 2-3-4 and those in your pack. Make 1 shot count.

I agree with Dukes_Daddy, muzzleloaders have limitations, in New Mexico we can use regular scopes,saboted bullets,pelleted powder,and with inline rifles they are capable of consistant accuracy. In open country it is sometimes a challenge to get close enough for a shot, I try to get as close as possible and only take a shot that I feel confident in. I wont take a marginal shot. I have taken 4 bulls in the last 4 years, all of them were taken with one clean shot,and none of them made it 50 yards from where they were standing. Honor the animals and Honor our sport,

depending on state rules ,what they require can vary your shooting distance considerably,,,colorado and oregon are very strict thus making a 200yrd shot very tough in comparison to some states w no bullet/powder/scope limitations.

I should have elaborated. I was fortunate enough to draw a muzzleloader elk tag in nm. So, my plan is to use a scope and sabots.

It REALLY depends on you weapon, load and sight.
A modern, scope sighted in-line, shooting quality bullets is capable of taking elk out to 200+ yards.

Before last years elk hunt, I practiced at 200 and was shooting 3” groups.

You won't have to worry about a 200 yard shot because your going to call one right into your lap!!!!! It was good seeing you the other day!!!! But good advice so far from everyone, basically do the ethical thing, I like it!!!!

Your grampy is/was a smart guy as was my dad.

This one is a pet peeve of mine. Primitive weapons (bow, muzzie, spear, rock) are not rifles and have limitations. Here in Utah the state limits muzzleloaders to 1x power scopes or open sights. This caps most people around 150 yards.

My grandpa told me three things I have always honored.

1) Just because you can see it doesn't mean you should shoot at it.

2) Rather than blaze away from here why don't we sneak closer.

3) Forget bullets 2-3-4 and those in your pack. Make 1 shot count.

I don't have knowledge of what it takes to kill an elk, as I only ML hunt whitetails. But, I test my differnet loads the old school way by first finding the 3-4 that shoot the best groups with maximun loads of powder. Then I take those 3-4 different loads and shoot them into a stack of phone books, newspaper, magazines, etc. all taped tightly together. I mark each hole with what load made it. When done peal it open and you will be surpised how some bullets have much better penetration and some bullets mushroom better, and others have much better weight retention. Fun experiment, especially if you can include some kids!

for oregon/colorado type rules ive done well with the lyman great plains rifle and all lead conicles,,,for new mexico youve got alot of choices,,,inlines,scopes,powerbelts,ect,just practice with what you use and be profiecient with it,,,make the first one count.

I shoot a Remington Genesis .50cal muzzy. I use .300gr powerbelts with 150gr of pyrodex charge. I consistently shoot out to 100yds with good groups. I know I can reach out to 200yds, however, I choose to maximize my range to 130yds as my own personal limit. The bullet drop chart shows my powder/bullet weight combo will drop about 2 ft at around 200yds and I'm not comfortable with that amount of drop. Plus, I have never shot beyond 100yds for the game I have taken ie mule deer and elk.

I shoot a Remington Genesis .50cal muzzy. I use .300gr powerbelts with 150gr of pyrodex charge. I consistently shoot out to 100yds with good groups. I know I can reach out to 200yds, however, I choose to maximize my range to 130yds as my own personal limit. The bullet drop chart shows my powder/bullet weight combo will drop about 2 ft at around 200yds and I'm not comfortable with that amount of drop. Plus, I have never shot beyond 100yds for the game I have taken ie mule deer and elk.

I am in the same camp on this...and I killed my best bull at 60 yds. It's just too much fun to get closer.

I am not real pleased with what states have done with mz seasons, by allowing scopes etc. This is the one thing that I agree with what Colorado has done.

It is, however, a reality that it is not a primitive weapon anymore, but just a single shot rifle. There are lots of good bullets out there that will penetrate at longer ranges and as long as the hunter is capable, it will work. Buffalo hunters killed at extended ranges using open sights.

A long, heavy hard-cast sabot bullet (as a Harvester bullet) will penetrate anything. The Barnes bullets have more than proven themselves, as have many others. I killed an elk at an extended distance with a heavy Harvester bullet years ago in New Mexico before they ruined the season and allowed scopes. It was across a canyon and I could not step it off and it was pre-range finder. I estimated it in the 150 yard range.

To really penetrate at a distance, a bullet should be long-for-caliber and not over-expand. Many mz bullets are made to expand rapidly due to the lower velocity. I have had some power belt bullets fail to penetrate on small white-tailed deer at close range.

Pick your bullet wisely and practice on what you consider to be your farthest range and you will be fine.

Many people refer to center fires as rifles and muzzle loaders in their own category. They are both rifles-one is center fire and one is muzzle loaded.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back