Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk load for X-Bolt .300 WM

Sdhunters

Have a new gun and would appreciate anyone with experience with an X-Bolt .300 WM sharing their experience with different ammo. I have read several outdoor articles and would prefer hunter feedback. Randy swears by E-Tip 180gr I believe. Many people say 180-200gr Accubond. Very interested to hear your suggestions. Have not fired a round yet and hope to try 3-4 different rounds and find out if the gun prefers one over the others. Thank you in advance for your help.

I've killed elk with Hornady Interlocks (American Whitetail ammo) with my .300WM. There are probably lots of good options out there, don't feel like you have to shoot the super expensive stuff. If you handload and have time you might try the "premium" lines, but for factory ammo, you might just look to American Whitetail or Federal Fusions. I've never really had much luck getting the expensive factory stuff to shoot that great, actually. Don't know why... Just haven't.

I'm shooting the x bolt pro this year. Barnes TTSX 165 gr shoot great out of it. Tried 168 gr accubond and could not good grouping.

Can't go wrong with the 180-200gr Accubond in any .300 win mag.
I am getting great accuracy from the Hornady 178gr ELD-X also.

Something that enters behind the shoulder and penetrates as far as possible. I can't really think of better elk medicine than a monolithic 180 grain bullet from a .300 mag. Maybe a 250 grainer from a .338, but I don't want to shoot one of those.

I've killed elk with Hornady Interlocks (American Whitetail ammo) with my .300WM. There are probably lots of good options out there, don't feel like you have to shoot the super expensive stuff. If you handload and have time you might try the "premium" lines, but for factory ammo, you might just look to American Whitetail or Federal Fusions. I've never really had much luck getting the expensive factory stuff to shoot that great, actually. Don't know why... Just haven't.
American Whitetails are deadly!

whatever shoots the most accurately out of your gun. any 300wm bullet can kill an elk and all else is irrelevant, if you can't hit your target.

American Whitetails are deadly!
I just paid off the layaway on my Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM and was looking at ammo, most of what I saw was $38 or more, but my youngest brother saw some American Whitetail in .300 WSM with 165 Interlocks for $30 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I may have to give those a try. I am trying to set this up mostly for hunting elk, mule deer and black bear out west, but would use it for whitetail here in WV too, even though that is what my .270 is for.

Thank you all for the feedback. Will give couple suggestions a try. Like the 165-180gr options.

Just start shooting and find one that works. Biggest part is being comfortable shooting long distances. I shot the biggest white tail of my life last year at 300 yards with some Walmart special Remington core-lokt that were old as hell

I shoot the Barnes TTSX 180gr. out of my 300wm, getting just a tad bit over 2950fps, but any 180-200gr bullet should do well in that rifle of yours. The neat thing is that you can drop down in weight when using a monolithic bullet. According to Barnes their .308/168gr. bullet would react the same way a standard 180gr lead bullet would, except velocity would be much higher, and was specifically made for the 300wm. Good luck in your search.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back