Elk in Freezer

Fullabull

Hi all,

How long will meat last in the freezer? I have a good freezer in the garage where I keep my elk meat. I have meat anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 years old in there. I hate to say that but it's true. It still tastes great to me but I'm not sure how long it will stay before loosing its nutritional value.

Thanks for your input,
Fullabull

I was eating moose that we had in the freezer for more than 3 years. True it will loose some of it's nutritional value but will not harm you and is still good for you, just not as beneficial as it was when it was fresh.

I've eaten deer(whitetail) that was in the for 13 years! My senior year of college I was strapped for cash and found some deer meat at the bottom of my dad's freezer. He had no problem letting me have it. It tasted a bit old, but edible.

I would put a freezer life of 2-3 years Max. this isn't from any Scientific Dadta but just doesn't seem right to me. (No offence mr 13 years later
wink.gif
)

We wrap our meat in Saran-Wrap then put Freezer paper on it. the Saran keeps the blood from dripping and makes for a good freezer barrier/sealant, and then wrap it in Freezer paper to keep the Freezer burn down..

We usually rotate meat out as often as we can, I also Give ALOT of meat away when I still have meat in the Freezer but don't want to stop hunting
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

(208)571-1ELK is the #.....

CALL me, I'll cook ya some up for a dinner at my place, If you like it take some home
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm buisy most weekends but Friday in a week would work ?

WOW.. Leave a phone # on the net and Someone actually calls
wink.gif

LOOKS like it's a date.... May 2nd, see ya there....

hey watch it elkhunter, we ummmmmmm nobody uhhhhhhh those phone numbers never get called.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
footinmouth.gif

I guess it's time to fire up the BQ and start cooking for the neighborhood. I have to put all my stuff in storage for a while until we find a house in WA.

I know! I should make a lot of jerky!!!

Thanks for the thoughts everyone
smile.gif

If it's frozen right, it will last for years, but if it sits in the freezer to long, and has any way to get in the other great flavors (ack...) will be picked up over time, or the freezer burn comes from having oxygen against the meat and it dries there first. Explained by one of the kids on my fire crew that has been going to collage in Spokane, I suppose they learn some thing in school...Eh Tyler..LMAO!!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back