Yeti GOBOX Collection

elk hunting in montana

If you have maintained your physical therapy and are in reasonable shape there is no reason not to hunt.

That is so very true. We all could use some extra incentive to give us a reason to keep moving. Here in NC, though I like to deer hunt, it don't require much from me. All I need to be able to do is be able to @#)(# a cross bow or rifle and maybe walk a hundred yards to a stand. With a plan in my mind to Elk hunt I know I need to get fit and Ideally keep fit. Push my self away from the dinner table when desert is served, generally eat much better and avoid the high carb snacks I love that are so easy to reach for and require no preparation. I know there will come a time when age will get the better of me but for now a Elk hunt every year is my best plan. My wife don't quite understand my incentive to continue to try to Elk hunt but it's the only thing that gives me enough incentive to really try to better my health and strength. At 70 I know I probably could have got a note from my Dr so I could hunt with a crossbow. But I worked back into using a compound having to set it at 50 lb as that is all I could pull. Gradually with shooting it almost every day since February I worked up to 64 lb but dropped back to 61 lb for hunting. Initially, I was hoping to just work up to 55 lb. My eyes aren't the best and I shake a little which all limits the range I can shoot but I'm dealing with it and thankful I can shoot a compound again and I'm actually enjoying it and wondered why I ever quit? A crossbow is easier to shoot but it just don't give a person the the real bow experience as it's more like shooting a gun. Some folks seem to thrive just fine just living like they are old and accepting it. I just can't live that way, struggling to push myself up from a chair or couch with my main daily activity is looking toward my next meal. I'm not tough enough to live like that but still strong enough to be able not to have to.

I'm an old Elk hunter too and originally from Central Ohio. I'm 70 and still working on my original kness though they aren't 100%. If you intend to Hunt Montana I hope you have done some homework and understand the draw system in Montana. There are no Non-resident over the counter Elk tags. You have to enter the draw. So my first question is have you accumulated any Preference points yet? If not and it's not too late purchase one. Then when you enter the draw next year purchase another. If you have 2 preference points your odds are pretty good for getting a general season tag.

I've been walking 5-6 miles a day for the last three months. I miss the occasional day but I figure that is about the minimum I should be doing. I've lost close to 20 lbs and needed to. Bad thing is I usually let myself go after Elk season I don't get serious till a few months out from the next season but I realized more than ever this year I can't keep doing that. It gets harder every year. My general health improves significantly from the walking and going low carb. So I'm going to try a bit harder this year not to regress after Elk season as I know my life all around will be better for it. I've learned I can go up almost any Mountain, just not fast. As to working out if your out of shape it's best to start slow and monitor your progress. I usually end up doing more than I should in the beginning which causes a set back when I bite more off than I can chew. I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 watch which helps me some and tracks my progress and connects via bluetooth to my phone. You don't really need it but it does keep up one's my heart rate, calories burnt, distance, speed and even draws a map of the route I walked.

You have a lot of time to train between now and next year but now is a great time to start.
I too am just thinking of trying a trip to Montana next year. Your info on the elk tag is big help. The state website is extremely confusing about licensing. Today I registered and work through trying to buy a license and then was asked for what zone, though I couldn't find a map or info on zones. I need a tutor lol.

I too am just thinking of trying a trip to Montana next year. Your info on the elk tag is big help. The state website is extremely confusing about licensing. Today I registered and work through trying to buy a license and then was asked for what zone, though I couldn't find a map or info on zones. I need a tutor lol.

Hi, I'm no tutor for sure and I can't say I fully understand the process completely either. I do know the first thing you need to do is Establish a ALS number. If you haven't already on your tour of the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks website. The first thing you want to do is Click on Buy a license or permit online. Answer the residency question and click on the Start application button. If you don't have an established ALS # there is a button to push to get one (there is no fee involved). Ideally, whatever permits, tags or license that are presently available to you should show up after you establish your Als number. Scroll through the options and if you see a preference point option click on it. If you don't see a preference point or bonus point option it's likely that at this point in time none are available. Preference points increase your chances of drawing the general combo tags. If you want a special permit for a limited entry unit you buy the bonus point , the point won’t help you this year but it’ll go toward next years limited entry drawing but won't help you get a Elk combo tag.

I hunted with my father until he was 79. Every year we would have to boost him on to a horse on the first day. By the end of the season he was getting on and off by himself and walking miles on roads and trails.

At 79 his wife convinced him he was old and shouldn't hunt any more. I watched him sleep in his chair for the next 10 years till he died. Without the drive to keep walking and riding he lost strength and balance and a reason to live. It's up to each of us to stay in shape and keep pushing on. Elk hunting is a very good reason to do that.

If you have maintained your physical therapy and are in reasonable shape there is no reason not to hunt.

Well said👍👍

I'm an old Elk hunter too and originally from Central Ohio. I'm 70 and still working on my original kness though they aren't 100%. If you intend to Hunt Montana I hope you have done some homework and understand the draw system in Montana. There are no Non-resident over the counter Elk tags. You have to enter the draw. So my first question is have you accumulated any Preference points yet? If not and it's not too late purchase one. Then when you enter the draw next year purchase another. If you have 2 preference points your odds are pretty good for getting a general season tag.

I've been walking 5-6 miles a day for the last three months. I miss the occasional day but I figure that is about the minimum I should be doing. I've lost close to 20 lbs and needed to. Bad thing is I usually let myself go after Elk season I don't get serious till a few months out from the next season but I realized more than ever this year I can't keep doing that. It gets harder every year. My general health improves significantly from the walking and going low carb. So I'm going to try a bit harder this year not to regress after Elk season as I know my life all around will be better for it. I've learned I can go up almost any Mountain, just not fast. As to working out if your out of shape it's best to start slow and monitor your progress. I usually end up doing more than I should in the beginning which causes a set back when I bite more off than I can chew. I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 watch which helps me some and tracks my progress and connects via bluetooth to my phone. You don't really need it but it does keep up one's my heart rate, calories burnt, distance, speed and even draws a map of the route I walked.

You have a lot of time to train between now and next year but now is a great time to start.
Hi, I'm no tutor for sure and I can't say I fully understand the process completely either. I do know the first thing you need to do is Establish a ALS number. If you haven't already on your tour of the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks website. The first thing you want to do is Click on Buy a license or permit online. Answer the residency question and click on the Start application button. If you don't have an established ALS # there is a button to push to get one (there is no fee involved). Ideally, whatever permits, tags or license that are presently available to you should show up after you establish your Als number. Scroll through the options and if you see a preference point option click on it. If you don't see a preference point or bonus point option it's likely that at this point in time none are available. Preference points increase your chances of drawing the general combo tags. If you want a special permit for a limited entry unit you buy the bonus point , the point won’t help you this year but it’ll go toward next years limited entry drawing but won't help you get a Elk combo tag.
Thanks for the info. I did get my ALS# yesterday, and it looked as if I was going to be able to buy a license for 2 different elk hunts for this year. Though not planning on going this year, but it is confusing. I will continue to explore it in the coming weeks. I live in Ga. and ours isn't near as confusing. For this ole 63 year old south Ga. country boy it will be a learning experience.

Thanks for the info. I did get my ALS# yesterday, and it looked as if I was going to be able to buy a license for 2 different elk hunts for this year. Though not planning on going this year, but it is confusing. I will continue to explore it in the coming weeks. I live in Ga. and ours isn't near as confusing. For this ole 63 year old south Ga. country boy it will be a learning experience.

I went online myself to see if it showed any Elk Hunts available. What it did show was that I could buy a Elk B tag and it listed 2 different districts (2&3) I think. But I looked it up and a Elk B tag is only only good for private land, not for public land so If I didn't already have a tag it probably wouldn't be very helpful to me. It did offer me Antelope and Moose bonus points however but since I don't plan to hunt either they wouldn't be of any use to me.

I went online myself to see if it showed any Elk Hunts available. What it did show was that I could buy a Elk B tag and it listed 2 different districts (2&3) I think. But I looked it up and a Elk B tag is only only good for private land, not for public land so If I didn't already have a tag it probably wouldn't be very helpful to me. It did offer me Antelope and Moose bonus points however but since I don't plan to hunt either they wouldn't be of any use to me.
I looked again today and yes the 1's I sway yesterday were elk b, I couldn't tell what that for though. Today I thought it was antlerless. Looks like for a greenhorn like me, I need to spend a lot of time reviewing the maps, there are so many sections in each zone. I got my work cut out for me i see. Thanks so much for sharing information with me. I'm Ben and now live in Athens Ga.

In MT, you also need to be aware that the rules for a General tag change depending on what unit you are hunting. So you need to pay attention to that. I have MT General Deer and General Elk tags (aka Big Game Combo). Those tags allow me to hunt any general unit in the state. I will be hunting unit 314, so my general Elk tag allows me to take either a branch antlered bull or a cow (no spike). However if I decided to venture into a different general tag unit, I might only be able to take a bull with that tag. So you need to read the specific regs for the unit you will be hunting, regardless of whether you have a unit specific tag or a general tag. I also have a unit specific Deer B tag for 314. That tag is only good in the that one unit. I think most B tags are unit specific, but I’m not 100% sure of that.

In MT, you also need to be aware that the rules for a General tag change depending on what unit you are hunting. So you need to pay attention to that. I have MT General Deer and General Elk tags (aka Big Game Combo). Those tags allow me to hunt any general unit in the state. I will be hunting unit 314, so my general Elk tag allows me to take either a branch antlered bull or a cow (no spike). However if I decided to venture into a different general tag unit, I might only be able to take a bull with that tag. So you need to read the specific regs for the unit you will be hunting, regardless of whether you have a unit specific tag or a general tag. I also have a unit specific Deer B tag for 314. That tag is only good in the that one unit. I think most B tags are unit specific, but I’m not 100% sure of that.

I need to correct myself a bit on what I wrote above. As to the ELK B tags I saw available were for Region 2 or 3 not District 2 & 3. So I could choose between any 200 numbered district or any 300 numbered district I assume. Montana calls their hunt units districts for what it's worth. Like Wildabeast said, each district has it's own set of rules as to what Sex you can hunt.

I think there are a couple b tags that are good for 2 or 3 units. 389 and 393 I think.

I looked again today and yes the 1's I sway yesterday were elk b, I couldn't tell what that for though. Today I thought it was antlerless. Looks like for a greenhorn like me, I need to spend a lot of time reviewing the maps, there are so many sections in each zone. I got my work cut out for me i see. Thanks so much for sharing information with me. I'm Ben and now live in Athens Ga.

Yea, the Elk B tag in this case was for private land. Your best bet if you want to hunt next year in Montana for Elk is to get a Elk Combo tag. That gives you access to a bunch of General season units but doesn't limit you to any one of them. But like I previously said you should be able to purchase a Preference point this year that would help you get your combo tag next year. Here is what is says about purchasing Preference points:
Purchasing Preference Points
Preference points for a nonresident big game, elk or deer combination license may be purchased for a nonrefundable fee of $50. Preference points can be purchased:
at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident combination license.

Unless things change relative to number of permits issued or number of applicants, 2 points will give you really strong odds on a General Elk, General Deer or Big Game Combo. If you buy a point this year, and then buy another point when you apply next year, you’ll have those two points. My son and I have both successfully drawn the past two years just buying a single point at the time of application. This year’s odds of that were much tighter than last year, so we were somewhat lucky this year. But 2 points should put you above 75% odds.

Yea, the Elk B tag in this case was for private land. Your best bet if you want to hunt next year in Montana for Elk is to get a Elk Combo tag. That gives you access to a bunch of General season units but doesn't limit you to any one of them. But like I previously said you should be able to purchase a Preference point this year that would help you get your combo tag next year. Here is what is says about purchasing Preference points:
Purchasing Preference Points
Preference points for a nonresident big game, elk or deer combination license may be purchased for a nonrefundable fee of $50. Preference points can be purchased:
at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident combination license.
Thanks, I'll try to get it before the end of Sept. then. Any more helpful tips will certainly be appreciated.

Unless things change relative to number of permits issued or number of applicants, 2 points will give you really strong odds on a General Elk, General Deer or Big Game Combo. If you buy a point this year, and then buy another point when you apply next year, you’ll have those two points. My son and I have both successfully drawn the past two years just buying a single point at the time of application. This year’s odds of that were much tighter than last year, so we were somewhat lucky this year. But 2 points should put you above 75% odds.
Thanks, I'll try to get it before the end of Sept. then. Any more helpful tips will certainly be appreciated.

thanks

I have not picked out a spot, but will study on it more. I will be doing a gun hunt though. The big problem for me is understanding the different states, zones, districts and requirements and restrictions. As I look through the different states their websites are not the easiest things to understand.

Just bought a preference point for Mont. So putting all my eggs in that basket. At present I don't have a clue where to go, it's still way too confusing. I got a year to figure it out. I have a wall tent and will be looing for a place to camp and hunt from. Also I don't have anyone talked into going with me. So If anyone wants to meet up and or share any info, I'm open to any opportunity.

Just bought a preference point for Mont. So putting all my eggs in that basket. At present I don't have a clue where to go, it's still way too confusing. I got a year to figure it out. I have a wall tent and will be looing for a place to camp and hunt from. Also I don't have anyone talked into going with me. So If anyone wants to meet up and or share any info, I'm open to any opportunity.
Good for you. Enjoy the planning phase. In my view, that can be almost as much fun as the hunt itself. If you can, try to spend a few days out there well before the season, take a mini vacation if you will. Boots on the ground before your hunt will pay dividends for sure. One other thing, given that you are from GA, be prepared for any weather, especially the cold. It can get insanely cold in MT, even in late Oct. Last year was a good example of extreme cold during the opening weekend. Of course, it could also be sunny and 70, but better to be prepared for the worst 😉

Last edited:
I get in on the "Come Home to Hunt" program so I can dodge the draw system (sorta ... technically it's a draw but seldom enough applicants apply so it's a done deal). The condition is I have to hunt with my still resident brother (and I must be a former resident). I have to hunt big game with him, birds I can hunt alone. The combo includes deer, elk, bird (not waterfowl), and fishing.

This elk B tag is something new to me. But sounds an awful lot like the "shoulder hunts"? Don't be terribly put off by the private land restriction. In those areas the elk are a real problem for many ranchers (because their Eastern dude neighbor ranchers are not allowing hunting). The elk need to be culled. Badly. Also, many of the private land ranches have public land inside their fences. That land can be publicly hunted if it can be accessed without crossing private land. I'm wondering how that govt land within private ranches factors into these shoulder hunts? Does that qualify as "private land"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back