Elk Hunting 380-20

Pilgram14

I was shocked upon learning the other day that I had drawn the coveted 380-20 elk permit. I have limited knowledge of the area, although I have family that lives in Helena and have spike and cow hunted the district before. I have been looking over maps and am trying to collect as much knowledge as possible. I have a demanding job but do plan on taking substantial leave in the fall for this once in a lifetime opportunity. I plan on archery hunting the area, and if I am unsuccessful with the bow I will pursue my quarry with the rifle. If anyone is willing to share any intel that would be greatly appreciated, and I would hope that I could pay you back in some way. I live in NW Montana.

Such grumps around here - be happy for the guy. Just because you all didn't draw your dream tag this year doesn't mean you have to dash this guys dreams.

Nobody’s trying to dash his dreams. It’s just a recurring theme each year. Guy draws tag. Guy wants info. Guy joins forum. Guy posts on forum asking for Info. A couple people give him some advice. Guy never comes back.

I’ve found this community to be extremely helpful to me an many others whenever I am seeking information. The key is the community aspect. In real life: You ask your buddy for help, you give your buddy help—that’s how it works, and that’s great. But you don’t go around asking people you just met and expect to receive much meaningful assistance.

Join the forum, contribute to the community, and the community is ready and willing to contribute to you when you need. Just like real life. It pays to invest in others so they are there when you need to make a withdrawal.

Ok all I want to know is did anybody else besides me not draw a 380-20 tag?

I am excited to say the least! Already have my maps ordered up and have plenty of contacts that live and hunt in the area every year. Archery season sounds like it is euphoric in the Elkhorns. Just excited to be around that population of elk, not to mention the amount of bulls to cows. I grew up in Southwest MT so I familiar with the type of terrain the unit has to offer. Currently living in NW Montana, which is a different style of elk hunting to say the least. Love the hunting in my neck of the woods as well but what an opportunity I have this upcoming season to learn some new territory. Couldn't be more jacked, hope to get it done during archery! But wouldn't mind packing around the boomstick chasing my quarry either if it comes to that. Hope my wife still likes me come December next year!

-deleted- Maybe I'll post in a few years when I'm entitled to have an opinion.

Last edited:
Guy draws tag. Guy is excited about it and posts on the best forum he can find because he wants to talk to people about it. Forum trolls post numbers instead of replies, ridiculing anyone who hasn't been here for many years. Guy quits posting and tells all his friends what a bunch of yahoos that forum is. Forum wonders why membership is declining. Forum becomes a MonsterMuleys wannabe.

Happy one month anniversary to HT.

Pilgram14 - Had the tag last year. Unbelievable experience! The best part about it is that we drew a party tag. The memories we created last season were the best of my hunting life. I can't even begin to tell you how sweet bow season was in those mountains. I have had the tag twice now and I still think it is one of the best tags or units in the state. In my opinion I think RMEF and all the people involved in the Elkhorns have done a great job with the elk heard. Could they do a few things different "yes", but dealing with all sides and people in general I think they have handled that unit well. We saw good / great bulls all season from start to finish. You will have to be willing to put in the work. We hiked and worked our tails off for the bulls we harvested. We drew three tags and I guess you could say our goal was to have 1000 inches of bone. My $0.02 would be to concentrate on 3 or 4 spots and hit them hard. I would try to stay away from chasing stories. There are lot of elk and good bulls all over the Elkhorns. We walked far and deep from a lot of roads. We put a lot of miles on and it paid off. In my opinion we were much more satisfied with getting 320 to 360 bulls and working hard then shooting a 380 to 400 bull from the road or private property. Again my opinion but a 380 bull doesn't mean jack in my book of hunting. Doesn't mean your a better hunter. I get it, anybody would want to get the biggest bull possible. Don't listen to what people say about how big of a bull you should get. Its your hunt and your memory you will make. Do it how you want to do it. To me in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter how big or small your bull is. It is the opportunity to hunt elk and enjoy the outdoors with people you love to be around. Enjoy that tag and I wish you the best of luck. Its all about being in the right place at the right time. Shoot em straight!
Bama

Last edited:
Be prepared for a massive shit show during the open cow hunt. Gonna be a lot of people in there trying to fill their general tags with cows or spikes.

Good point Rat, I forgot about the changes to the cow hunts in North and South portions of unit, will be taking the last two weeks of rifle off for this hunt with that being said. And still committed to my all but 7 days off in September. ideally its a done deal in bow season.

Rat-What are the dates for the open cow hunt? Bama-thanks for the advice, I love to get entrenched in new areas as deep as I can during scouting season so I can feel comfortable with the area once the days of truth come. Fantastic advice as well to stick to a couple areas and hunt them hard. That's always been my practice elsewhere and looks like will continue to guide me on this hunt. I will be taking 3-4 days at a time during the archery season. I coach football, so once Friday Night Lights are out I will be on my way. Hope to take some Mondays-Tuesdays off to prolong my weekends. And if the hunting gets real hot during September, I may take an entire week off. Sacrifices must be made with this tag since I suspect it will be the only time I ever draw it. If I end up holding the tag into rifle the last couple weeks are the most open for me to take time off. All in all I just can't wait to hear my first bugle from unit 380-20!

General tag cow hunting is from Oct 20-Nov 11 in the North and South units and NOT on National Forest land. They scaled back the number of B licenses as part of the changes but still giving out 475 of those as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back