Elk Hunt 2016

StrutNut

Well,

I am going to start planning an elk hunt for 2016. I have only done one before, a DIY on public land with a bow in CO. I was successful in shooting a nice cow. I think this time I will give it a go with a rifle. I would love to hunt a state that has an opportunity to hunt both mule deer (never shot one) and elk. Im a meat hunter so Im not worried about hunting the biggest of the biggest just want to get back out and enjoy the western experience. Time to do some research and figure out which state to go to. This would be a DIY hunt again as I dont have the funds to go through an outfitter and I like the challenge. I also really have to drop a few pounds so there is that too. If I cant get a combo hunt to work I will likely try Idaho out. I have been through there but I have never hunted there. I also have family in Washington so who knows where I will end up! Its just time to start preparing for next year.

Montana has what your looking for in a combo tag and they don't sell out so they are easy to get.If you want to spend over $1000 on your elk tag, Wyoming's elk hunting is hard to beat,but you could only draw with no points in the special draw;general tag.Plenty of deer tags in Wy. you could get on no points.Alot of fun antelope hunts available on no points in Wy as well

I have looked into both states and have those on the radar. I am trying to avoid areas with the Grizz as I would prefer to be the top predator. I have some contacts in Montana I was going to give a shout to. So many areas but yeah, that combo tag sounds appealing.

I would also say Montana. As for Griz, i think one was shot about 5-mile from me in 2014 on opening rifle week as it thought it should take a run a guy with a gun... I think that anywhere in western Montana is Griz capable area.

What happens to a grizzly killed while attacking the hunter? I assume the Game and Fish would confiscate the carcass?

Just curious!

If the hunter survives, what happens? I did not place both scenarios in the question, Thank you for correcting the obvious answer! mtmander, thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back