Elk down across unit boundaries?

Goatshoes

Hopefully this doesn't happen.

What is the protocol if your mortally wounded game crosses unit boundaries and or state lines yet remains on public where you are free to go but not hunt because of the tag restriction. Go get it? Call a warden?

I would call a warden and explain the situation before retrieving the animal.

Call a Warden.

They can retrieve game which expired on private property for you (in most States and Provinces), they will probably show up and investigate or tell you to go get it if it expires across unit boundary, and finally call the appropriate state Warden if the animal crossed state line.

If you have phone service or it’s close to get it then yes call. If not I would mark shot and track blood trail. Leave weapon on legal side and retrieve. Mark everything on gps and take pics. I wouldn’t drive hours or chance spoiling meat over calling first. I hunt border of otc and draw area often and have put a lot of thought into it.

If you have phone service or it’s close to get it then yes call. If not I would mark shot and track blood trail. Leave weapon on legal side and retrieve. Mark everything on gps and take pics. I wouldn’t drive hours or chance spoiling meat over calling first. I hunt border of otc and draw area often and have put a lot of thought into it.

This is what I would do.

If you are hunting close enough to a state or unit boundary that this could be a foreseeable problem, I would call a warden ahead of time and ask their opinion on how to proceed if the situation arises. I would hate to have an animal wounded, and then be scrambling to get cell service or waiting for a warden to show up after the fact. As long as you can legally access the property (NF/State/BLM/etc) the animal went onto, I wouldn't think there would be an issue if you documented where you and the animal were at the shot. Might not be a bad idea to unload or case your weapon. Probably easier to get instructions from a warden before the situation happens than after.

There was a similar thread to this not that long ago, and I still am going to get that animal.

While it all depends on the situation, I agree that if you clearly mark the shooting location and the location where the animal was hit within your unit (with evidence of blood), then you should be on solid ground to recover the animal. I also agree with leaving the weapon in the unit where you were hunting.

I would contact the neighboring state ahead of time if I crossed that state on my way in to hunt, but it seems unnecessary if you do not intend to set foot in a different state before you head out.

With all this said, I would check state regulations to see if there is anything specific that could affect this approach.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back