Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk Cape/Hide

If the pack out is not too far I save the hide. It gets tanned into leather and sewn into gloves and mittens.

The last elk my wife shot I skinned out and had it totally processed at a tannery. Only $200. The idea was to use as a blanket but the hair can break off and the tanning chemicals leave a harsh dent. Came out perfect otherwise. I suppose it could be used to make items but we use it as a display.

They look nice tanned with hair on and hung over a banister on a stairs or hung on the wall. I've wanted to save a nice hide and have it tanned hair off and have a long-sleeve shirt made out of it kind of in the mountain man style. I think that would be pretty slick.

The last elk my wife shot I skinned out and had it totally processed at a tannery. Only $200. The idea was to use as a blanket but the hair can break off and the tanning chemicals leave a harsh dent. Came out perfect otherwise. I suppose it could be used to make items but we use it as a display.
+1
b.png

g.png

Many years ago Joe Jonas Taxidermy in Denver had a special where they would tan any elk hide. hair on, for $35. I had 3 elk skins tanned, gave one to my Sister, one to my Folks, and I kept one. I think the one I kept was my first 6x6 bull, and it has filled a 8'x10' wall in my reloading room since I hung it there in 1978.

The 20 some years that I had horses, I left the hide on the elk quarters to help keep the meat clean and to reduce trimming the meat when I processed them. Those hides weren't worth much, and I've ended up throwing most of my critter hides away.

The 20 some years that I had horses, I left the hide on the elk quarters to help keep the meat clean and to reduce trimming the meat when I processed them. Those hides weren't worth much, and I've ended up throwing most of my critter hides away.

I didn't know any different while growing up as that is exactly how I was taught. Quartering was done with an ax/hatchet, bone left in and the hide kept the meat clean until it reached our barn.

Retro pics: My Grandpa N. Fork Camp

Grandpa North Fork Camp.jpg

A few years later, S. Fork Camp. As far as I know, my Grandpa only had one set of hunting clothes!

Grandpa South Fork Camp.jpg

My first bull that I killed when I was 15, again, hide on bone in! I'm glad that I have learned a few thing since then....

1st Bull 4.jpg

The last pack out of 4 over two days. Sure wish that I had that much stamina now that I'm OLD!

1st Bull 3.jpg

I've killed a few elk that I might have thought about packing the whole hide out over the years....then I come to my senses!;)

I used to have a place in Spokane that sent elk hides in to get tanned. About the time I moved back to Montana I think they moved to Harrison, Idaho. I had a couple of coats made that I still have and made batwing chaps out of the tanned hides. Elk hide chaps are really warm and have lasted 40 years.

I had a hunting partner that never wanted to have an elk mounted but found a ready market with the taxidermists for good capes prepared correctly.

I used to have a place in Spokane that sent elk hides in to get tanned. About the time I moved back to Montana I think they moved to Harrison, Idaho. I had a couple of coats made that I still have and made batwing chaps out of the tanned hides. Elk hide chaps are really warm and have lasted 40 years.

I had a hunting partner that never wanted to have an elk mounted but found a ready market with the taxidermists for good capes prepared correctly.
There is still a market for good elk capes and I have sold a few over the years. I also used a cape off of a later taken bull to mount my first. To date, it is the only elk mount in my hose even though I have take one or two that are much, much bigger.

I have always wanted to get a full elk hide tanned to use as a display/decoration but have yet to do that.....maybe someday??

We have kept a couple. Have made into slippers, gloves, vests, and a jacket. I'd like to have a large hide off a bull for decoration.

what do you get for them?

Mature antelope (15.5" inch neck or bigger) can bring over $140. A good mule deer $175+. A 30" elk can usually bring $200+. The best I've done was on 36" bull (370 type elk) that brought me $380. Tanning fees are pretty reasonable. I picked up 2 antelope capes (one was lifesize) and two mule deer capes last week from the tannery and the total cost was $200. I do have some time invested in the fleshing, turning, and salting parts, but I enjoy doing it.

When I kill my first elk I’d like to keep at least some portion of the hide and have it tanned. Especially if it is a cow.
I really need to get off my butt and learn how to tan a few hides. I always thought it’d be cool that if I had a kid I’d make a hide as a blanket for him or her.
And how Dolly had a coat of many colors, I’ve always wanted a coat of many hides.

Just wanted to bump this thread - I ran into an issue where I cut my cape too short according to my taxidermist.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I could get one? I would really like to shoulder mount my first bull

This was the only reputable site I came across: https://antlersbyklaus.com/product/elk-capes/

Attachments

• 45143AE6-12B7-4D08-881B-9B4C2D1EEE7B.jpeg
    45143AE6-12B7-4D08-881B-9B4C2D1EEE7B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • F79CFF41-032D-43F4-A662-3BB639212E17.jpeg
    F79CFF41-032D-43F4-A662-3BB639212E17.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
I would like to someday. My issue has been I have always been by myself when I kill them...alot of work for one guy so I do the gutless method and the hide comes off in pieces. This year my wife was with me but she has a prothsteic leg that she just got in April and stayed at our glassing spot while I broke down the elk. I did take a chunk of the hide to lay over her because it was raining and then turned to snow....it kept her from hypothermia while I finished packing loads up to her.

Just wanted to bump this thread - I ran into an issue where I cut my cape too short according to my taxidermist.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I could get one? I would really like to shoulder mount my first bull

This was the only reputable site I came across: https://antlersbyklaus.com/product/elk-capes/
Taxidermy.net I've sold quite a few capes here.

Also check on ebay. I'd also put a WTB feelers out on a few hunting boards/facebook, I'll bet you get a hit.

I'm getting my son's first bull elk hide tanned with the hair on. $15 per sq ft - estimated 24 sq ft so $360.

I have the cape off the bull I killed last week in the freezer...if you want it, it's yours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back