MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk camper ?

Rooster52

Anyone use an enclosed cargo trailer for your elk camp ? What do you use for heater? Anyone have any experience with the Buddy Heater not working at high elevations?

Last edited:
I use buddy heaters at 10,000 feet in Leadville. They work but give me trouble. Seems to help changing the 1 lb gas tanks when the heater shuts down. In 2013 I tried a gas grill propane tank and I had no trouble.

Since I spend a lot of nights in a fish house on the lake in the winter I am a freak about this,... I know the Buddy heaters have low oxygen shut offs, but I always recommend that if you can spend $100 on a heater you can spend $15 on a Carbon Monoxide detector. Cheap insurance. A cracked window or door will help you and your family sleep better knowing you are safe as well. My 2 cents.

1lb propane tanks for ice fishing or camping in cold weather are junk . Freeze up and unreliable . Use 20lb or bigger and you'll never have any trouble

Here's our deer/elk camp in Wyoming last year and what we use in both the cargo trailer when we sleep in it, as well as in my 19' trailer most of the time. We hook them up to 20# or 30# tanks outside along with an inline fuel filter designed for them when using big tank hookups. We always have the roof vents open a few inches along with good CO detectors as sound as most of us sleep. We usually camp up at about 6500' with no problems and may be up at 8000' this Fall and will find out if that higher elevation affects them.

Attachments

• Wyoming 2014 149.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 149.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,520
  • Wyoming 2014 146.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 146.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,511
I have two of the smaller buddy heaters. Fixin up my cargo trailer for next fall.

My camper will be kind of like that .12 volt and 110 ,built in beds. Bathroom/dressing room as my wife is going hunting with me.

I have considered using my Cargo Trailer for camp if I go alone again, rather then setting up my Wall Tent.
I use a Buddy heater in my Wall Tent, with a 100 pound tank with a filter, they seem to work fine up to about 7,000' above that they seem to get a little iffy. fumes and they go out sometimes. at-least that is what I have experienced with mine.

Kevin

I used a buddy heater tent camping in the Sierra Madre's a couple years ago with no problems. It wasn't really cold and I just used it to take off the chill a few times through the night then would shut it down. Even though it has a co2 sensor I'm leery about letting it run while I sleep. I also made sure I had plenty of ventilation.

they are great i dont sleep above 10000 not going to risk my hunt with altitude sickness when i can just camp at 8500 9000 and hike up in the morning or down depending on elk

To clear up some misstatements here, the Buddy heater has a Low-oxygen sensor. Low Oxgen can be caused by several things and CO is only one of them. Buddy Heaters do not have a CO detector so adding one into your camper is a great idea.

As far as having something for supplemental heat, the buddy will work just fine at cold or altitude if you use a 20lb tank. I run mine from an 11lb and 20lb tanks in the winter while ice fishing and they do great. Below zero and they start to ice up if your'e running on high, but they pump out enough heat its not needed.

My biggest recommendation is to have sleeping gear and clothing rated to the weather you will be in. Have a plan if the heat does fail. I use heat to keep the tent or camper warm when we cook or get dressed. The heat goes off or on low while sleeping. Let your insulation keep you warm.

The low-oxygen sensor on the Buddy Heater is designed to help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The heater is only supposed to work up to 7500 feet elevation. In my experience, that is about right. I have used it at 7500 feet and it worked, but it wouldn't light at 9500 feet. Some of the newer ones may be designed to work at higher elevation.

To clear up some misstatements here, the Buddy heater has a Low-oxygen sensor. Low Oxgen can be caused by several things and CO is only one of them. Buddy Heaters do not have a CO detector so adding one into your camper is a great idea.

As far as having something for supplemental heat, the buddy will work just fine at cold or altitude if you use a 20lb tank. I run mine from an 11lb and 20lb tanks in the winter while ice fishing and they do great. Below zero and they start to ice up if your'e running on high, but they pump out enough heat its not needed.

My biggest recommendation is to have sleeping gear and clothing rated to the weather you will be in. Have a plan if the heat does fail. I use heat to keep the tent or camper warm when we cook or get dressed. The heat goes off or on low while sleeping. Let your insulation keep you warm.

I was gonna say,I know too many folks that spend all their time and money with heaters while hunting.....get good gear or you will never be warm!!
15k on toys and a big 5 sleeping bag......

I have done the tent camping no heat other than cook stove. At my age I am treating myself to more to comfort for now.

I have done the tent camping no heat other than cook stove. At my age I am treating myself to more to comfort for now.

I hear you, no more tent camping for me either. Travel trailer with all the comforts of home, hot water, shower, soft warm beds, and best of all toilet away from the elements.
Guess I've gotten old and soft.

Hey,I'm 60 and hunt from my house when I can now.
Been to the bbq too....
....but you can't get a truck,let alone a trailer where I go now usually.

Good luck and good hunting.

Still use my cargo trailer for camp. I had a cabinet installed up across the front and put a RV furnace in it. Even that hasn't always been reliable so I've used a buddy heater as a back up with the same issues at elevation. The next plan is to run an electric heater powered by a small Honda generator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 943

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back