Caribou Gear

Elk Calls ?

Rooster52

My son is going on his first archery elk hunt in Colorado .
I use a Sceerey ACE1 and a Berry Bugle as my first choice ,anyother good sugjestions ?
Also need a Rangefinder ,Something small pocket model? Bushnell Truth ?

Last edited:
I used the primos terminator on my elk hunt in 2013. I never hunted elk before that nor never used a bugle. Took me only an hour and I got the hang of it really quick. And really made my neighbors in my apartment pissed!! :) When in the badlands my first attempt at bugling a bull well nerves got me and I choked but I composed myself and got nerves back and made a nice bugle and he responded just as I have seen in videos. Every bull after that responded. It also has an attached cow call that was easy for the mews. I did buy a hoochie mamma some people like them others don't I got it and tied it to the bugle it was a nice back up. That is my review on what worked for me as a beginner. Range finders now is whole new ball game. What will his general range be that he wants to use. Also what is his budget? I have a cheap bushnel that works good for bow hunting whitetails but I am looking at something for longer distances. If he rifle hunts also maybe save up a little more and get a decent one that will range a bit further. For right now I sit with an ok range finder to 300 yards but now I have to spend more to get one that goes farther, wishing I had spent the money up front on a good one for all occasions. I have really been looking at the leicas they seem to have good reviews and depending on his age if his is like me I am sure he is a savy internet buyer and at the right time can snatch one from ebay or other sites at 50-75% retail. The zeiss are nice too and swaro but are bigger than he may want.

Jamen

Take a look at buglingbull.com. They offer very easy to use open reed calls as well as a very easy bite down mouth piece bugle. The bugle also gives you the option to remove the mouthpiece and use a diaphragm. Best calls that I've ever used.

I like wood body open reed calls such as those offered by phelps game calls.
I also like bugling bull's mouth reeds and bugle tubes.

I like a diaphram call if possible (frees up the hands). I had been using a couple of primos calls the last couple of years, as I was a guinea pig for my wife to try out some new orthodontic technology; which made using diaphrams impossible.

Depending on where he is hunting in CO a bugle might not be super useful if the elk are educated. They are good for locating other hunters though.....

I have a leupold TBR-100, great unit.

I use a bugle rarely now. Elk get smart quick.
Open reeds and some bite calls mostly ,since I lost knack of diaphram. Chappell,Sceery and Carltons.
I can stop cows and bulls with just my mouth and lips. Almost a silent whistle,works great,hands free. It helps having a group to practice on nearby.....

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back