Elk Calls

WV Hunter

I may be going on my first elk hunt in Colorado this September and I was curious what elk calls you guys would recommend for a first time user? There seems to be plenty to choose from. If I buy now I will have plenty of time to practice. :D

I used the Mega Mac Daddy bugle call from Wayne Carlton Calls and the Hoochie Mama Cow Call from Primos. No matter what Bugle call you get, practicing with it is the key. They're not terribly hard to learn how to call but it's not easy either. The Hoochie Mama is as easy of call as you will find. It doesn't take anytime at all to perfect that call. My bugle call came with an instructional dvd as well which helped much more than written directions.

I used the Mega Mac Daddy bugle call from Wayne Carlton Calls and the Hoochie Mama Cow Call from Primos. No matter what Bugle call you get, practicing with it is the key. They're not terribly hard to learn how to call but it's not easy either. The Hoochie Mama is as easy of call as you will find. It doesn't take anytime at all to perfect that call. My bugle call came with an instructional dvd as well which helped much more than written directions.

I like to use my 7 year old. He bugles using a tube with no reed, just his voice. Otherwise I'd go with a hyper lip single from Primos. I like the sound and the bulls seem to enjoy it as well.

I use a primos pack bugle, it has a blue reed on it. Works well, and is fairly easy to learn. For cow calls i have used the hoochie mama and sceery has 1, I have a couple of them and for the life of me cant remember the model, but it is camo and has a split mouth piece with a reed in it and a rubber cover over the mouth piece, it has produced for me also.

I'll second the Primos hyper lip single for realistic cow calls. A guy that knows how to use that call is almost impossible to tell the difference from a real cow. Sweetnectar and his refuge have proven this time and again.

Back