Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk calling opinions

Coop

Hey guys, so this year, I have been fortunate enough to find a great section of land with a ton of elk on it. I am able to get out there pretty much every weekend, and I am in elk every single time. However, i can't seem to close the gap on a bull to within 25 yards (I shoot a longbow). I have tried to call in satellites with easy cow calls, I have tried getting 40 yards from bulls and doing easy cow calls, going crazy on the hyper hot, and bugling in his face, yet nothing seems to work in closing the distance to where I need to be for an ethical shot. I am just looking for opinions and what has worked for everyone else to get a wary elk in from 150 yards, or an unsuspecting bull in from 40 to check me out.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem. If you figure this out please let me know. I even tried a Montana cow decoy with no success. Not sure how to get those last couple of cards solo hunting

Teej89, thanks!

Cody, As a lone hunter getting 25 yards from bulls is a tough situation for sure as you can see! Next time you're there do everything you can if a bull stays vocal enough to give away his position to move in silently for the shot, no need to call at this time! Of course terrain can dictate if this is possible or not. You need predictable wind & good cover for that approach!

If noisy conditions & a silent approach is impossible & a bull responds to your cow calls then consider going to him as he asks you to cow calling naturally & softly on your approach. He expects this cow to come his way so making ground noise as you're going to him is a non issue! I have used this with success many times!

3rd, If in a calling situation as you stated above & you can tell a bull is coming your way by his bugling/chuckling getting closer then give a few more cow calls to encourage him to keep coming then move forward 20-30 yards & do not call anymore. This will have him think you are still there where he heard you last, as long as he doesn't see you move or wind you he generally will stay in search mode coming forward, this time he will be in your lap! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks ElkNut! I have watched a few of your videos and listened to some podcasts, and I will say that I am getting closer to where I need to be for success. I will give these tactics a shot this weekend. I appreciate it!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back