Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk and wolves, unit 10.

*Bowdude*

Well the posted documents on the Idaho Fish and Game site really contradict each other. Wolves take almost an elk a day per wolf according to the study report, yet bear and mountain lions take multiple times more? Bull harvest since introducing wolves in unit 10 has fallen about 85 percent??

Time for you folks to start taking matters into your own hands. It obviously got away from the Fish and Game dept!

Hopefully in the very near future the feds. will realize their error. It should be up to the states to control the population of wolves & not the feds.

I considered trying Unit 10 last year as I was somewhat tired of the competition in the one I normally hunt. Spent a week or so on a scouting/fishing trip and decided to stick with the old spot. The elk numbers just aren't there anymore and its a shame. I won't say wolves are the complete cause, but they are a contributing factor. The miles of uniform, mature forest are not good as well. The unit needs some major fire activity in a big way, looking at conditions it is probably a matter of time at this point. Fish and game is well aware of the issues in the unt, they are part of the solution, not the cause or the blame.

Back