Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

electronic scales???

tnctcb

since im not home that much i would like to get one of these to speed up the process. i want to get the one with the automatic powder dispenser but they are alot of money if they dont work properley and you still have to trickle the powder. do any of you guys have one of these and what do you think of them

I've been using a 1970's RCBS beam scale good to 1/10th of a grain since uhh the 70's. (that's 1 tenth of 1 seven thousandth of a pound, depending on the powder, that's usaully one or two of the granules.)

The scale is not the problem in mass reloading, it's the powder thrower. I have a cheap ass $10 Lee thrower, but ya know, it drops 'em to 1/10th +/- without a hitch.

Does 1/10th make a rats ass on hunting loads? NO. The best Factory stuff isn't probably that close.

Does 1/10th make a rats ass on target/ competition loads; not unless you have done alot of extra work on the brass, primer pocket, bullet seating depth, freebore, crown, and a list I won't get any further into.

IMAO, spend yer money on shooting and experimenting (and just hunting with the boys). The scale may be a nice "I got one toy", but it ain't agonna help a hoot in putting a slug where ya want it on game.

I know this is an old thread but I'll add my $0.02.

I have a Lyman 1200DPS and I love it!! Very consistent, loads checked periodically against the beam scale (highly recommended, no matter what you use to dispense powder), and they are always spot on.

I have not used long grain powder in it yet, so I don't know how well they will feed, but the way the machine is set up, if it will feed it, it will measure it correctly.

$219.95 from Midway

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back