Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Eldx issues

I shot my bull this year with the 143 gr factory eldx load out of my wifes 6.5 cr, aka my backup for the hunt. I took a nasty spill the day before and sidelined my 06 which I have set up for elk as a result.

The eldx did the job, and the bull died about 20 yds from where he stood. It passed through him so I wasn't able to look at the bullet afterwards. The shot placement was perfect, right behind the shoulder, so I won't make any inferences other than to say he died quickly. It won't ever be my first choice for elk, but in that situation (about 150 yd shot, perfectly broadside) it got the job done, and I had no complaints about excessive damage as it was on par with what I've experienced with other animals and other calibers/loads.

That being said, even though I don't reload, I don't think it would be a good idea, based on others experiences and the design of the bullet, to shoot something up close with that bullet loaded hot. From what I can tell that's not what that bullet was designed for.

With all that is being said about the ELDX. I have a 7rem mag that a friend put a load together for me with the ELDX. It's the 175gr. I plan on using the 7mag for my moose hunt in a couple not years and I thought it would be a good set up. But after reading all the stuff on here. What can I replace the ELDX with in a 175 that would good moose med.

Case in point from last night. I shot a doe at 150 yards with an ELD-X. It was quartering to me. I shot front shoulder, the bullet broke apart a bit on impact, made a huge hole in the rib cage, shredded the heart, and barely exited. I didn't recover any of the bullet fragments or anything.

I personally have been working on switching everything to accubonds for myself because I'd like to have a full pass through in this circumstance, but with realistic expectations with the ammo that I still have.

ELD-X and SST bullets do similar things. That you had them separate from the core is not at all surprising. They do massive damage all the way through the wound channel and aren't meant to stick together like a bonded bullet. If you want something that holds together all the way through the animal you should be buying something bonded or monometal as that's their purpose. If not, then don't be surprised.

I personally have had great success with the ELD-X and SSTs out of every gun I've loaded it for. They shoot well and do what they're supposed to on game.
You are absolutely correct sir, Eld-x ant the sst are hunting bullets. The Eldx really preforms beyond 400 yards. I have the same issues with it at short yardage as you mentioned so I am switching. The SST is a great bullet, I have used it for years in my 25-06 with excellent results. I think the issue is that I and others got so wrapped up in the excellent target aspect and the "long range" fad that we forgot to realize we didn't buy the right ammo. I see the winchesster long range "accubond" has the same ballistics as the Eldx, at least in the 6.5CM. Hope that helps.

Case in point from last night. I shot a doe at 150 yards with an ELD-X. It was quartering to me. I shot front shoulder, the bullet broke apart a bit on impact, made a huge hole in the rib cage, shredded the heart, and barely exited. I didn't recover any of the bullet fragments or anything.

I personally have been working on switching everything to accubonds for myself because I'd like to have a full pass through in this circumstance, but with realistic expectations with the ammo that I still have.

Im curious, how could you tell it barely exited? Was it laying next to the deer or something?

Edited after a re-read: Do you mean it barely exited the heart? At first I thought you meant it barely exited the animal and was real confused how you could tell that :)

Last edited:
Im curious, how could you tell it barely exited? Was it laying next to the deer or something?

Edited after a re-read: Do you mean it barely exited the heart? At first I thought you meant it barely exited the animal and was real confused how you could tell that :)

Just a real small exit hole on the off side. I didn't find anything on the off side hide, but I would imagine that part of the jacket exited. But I tell you what, the damage was really great right where it was supposed to be. The front side shoulder was a bit toasted though. Here's a picture of the entry and you can see that there's really no exit hole.

IMG_1170.JPG

Side note - shot a buck with my '06 and an accubond this morning and it seemed to go through the front shoulder and exit behind the off side shoulder perfectly. If you'd like more info on that I'll try to take some pictures. It's been interesting getting to try out different bullets since starting reloading a year or so ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy
Just a real small exit hole on the off side. I didn't find anything on the off side hide, but I would imagine that part of the jacket exited. But I tell you what, the damage was really great right where it was supposed to be. The front side shoulder was a bit toasted though. Here's a picture of the entry and you can see that there's really no exit hole.

View attachment 121204

Side note - shot a buck with my '06 and an accubond this morning and it seemed to go through the front shoulder and exit behind the off side shoulder perfectly. If you'd like more info on that I'll try to take some pictures. It's been interesting getting to try out different bullets since starting reloading a year or so ago.

So which animal died quicker? Which bullet did you prefer?

Im always really wary about trying to shoot through a shoulder. I passed on a shot at a bull 3 yrs ago for that reason at 80 yds. A shot through the shoulder or neck probably would've killed him, but I ate tag soup that year. Glad you killed your deer, it's certainly a lethal shot if the bullet gets in the vitals.

So which animal died quicker? Which bullet did you prefer?

Both performed perfectly as they were supposed to. I may switch everything to Accubonds just because of less meat damage and ability to take shots without as much angle consideration. Not that the ELD didnā€™t perform perfectly. Just personal preference.

In my opinion you canā€™t really judge a bullet by if it drops the animal immediately or not. That all depends on shot placement and the randomness of the world. Iā€™ve had deer drop instantly and had them run 100 yards with the same shot through the lungs. Didnā€™t matter the bullet.

They are a splashy bullet for sure. I'd avoid anything but the heavy for caliber options at moderate velocities if there's a chance of it going into an elk's shoulder. A 178 at win mag speeds or 162 at 7 mag speeds plus is asking for trouble IMO.

I shot a juvenile wolf at 40 yards with a 175 from a 7 saum with MV of lower 2800s and it didn't exit. Messy. Same setup made a mess out of a bull elk too. The 200 ELDx has done alright on elk and whitetail at 300 wsm speeds. All critters have been easily recovered but I could see an errant shoulder shot ending poorly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back