Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Eh yous Canadians - Hows bout you put dat fire out eh?

What's the big deal?
For years I never knew the San Gabriel Mtns were a mile from my house. Then one day there they were.
Growing up in Socal in the 60's was different. On a good day the sky was yellow and the air quality was just unhealthful and a minor smog alert. Add a fire or 2 and it was brutal.

From hence forth, your forum name shall be Tupac

One year the Forest Service decided to rebuild the water system for Union Creek campground, Fairwell Bend Campground and the Union Creek Resort along the upper Rogue River. We were tasked with all the survey work for the project. Due to a nearby fire the smoke had reduced the visibility to less than 1/4 mile. It was literally sickening to work under those conditions, but we toiled on. We were approached by one of the handful of campers dumb enough to try and recreate in all that smoke. He proceeded to complain about the government in general and the forest service in particular for our ineptness in controlling wildfires. His main concern seemed to be the ill effects all that smoke was having on his health. A legitimist concern except that he was there voluntarily and during his rant he would periodically pause long enough to take a drag off his cigarette.

It's hard to take someone seriously when they are complaining about health effects of wildfire smoke while sucking on a cancer stick.

Pictures taken from the same location in central Pennsylvania. Slightly different time of year, early May verses this morning, but you get the idea. People here just are not used to this sort of thing so it is “the talk”. It is reminiscent of our last trip to Montana during August.

We leave for a week of fishing in Ontario in the morning. Smoke or no smoke the big ens better look out.

1173DF1A-B2AE-418B-9C6C-DB461C13B763.jpeg
C9CB2584-F166-4F7E-86E2-A9261491D28A.jpeg

We leave for a week of fishing in Ontario in the morning. Smoke or no smoke the big ens better look out.
We are leaving tomorrow for northwest Ontario. I’m texting my aunt who is at the cabin now and it’s not as bad there it seems. Hopefully it doesn’t change.

Live picture she just sent from the deck in Ontario. No smoke.

1688056283884.jpeg

Last edited:
What's the big deal?
For years I never knew the San Gabriel Mtns were a mile from my house. Then one day there they were.
Growing up in Socal in the 60's was different. On a good day the sky was yellow and the air quality was just unhealthful and a minor smog alert. Add a fire or 2 and it was brutal.
So many folks have no idea how bad Socal was, even well into the '80s.

It is kind of interesting to see how people are reacting to it though. I guess it honestly never occurred to me that such a large part of this country literally never experiences smoke, since this has pretty much been an annual occurrence my entire life.
It’s equally trippy to me how it’s just part of your everyday life.

Maybe part of the difference is that this was described as extremely small particles that worked deeper into your lungs. Then it also affected many millions of people at once.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back