Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Effect of Aging Hunters on Bonus Points

I am getting close to qualifying for this. Will turn age 60 this elk season. Have as many as 23 points in some states. Was very worried about health until recently when my 4 year plantar faciitis finally left and I could resume my running routine. Back to 20 miles per week and lost 15# this month. So now I am once again optimistic about my hunting trips. So this year I am aggressively trying to burn some points for some long targeted hunts in UT, CO & OR. I'm not dialing down to lesser units. But I am very close for these specific three ~25% to 75% chances. All 20+ hunts. I have thought about my other future goals but so much is limited by staying healthy & fitness level. Pacer has been dependable and seems no limit, but got an appointment coming up. It seems I was reclassified to "totally dependent" on it, so not sure what doc will say about remote hunting trips.

I for one do feel aging hunters will be quitting because of health and cost, but mostly because of Game Departments trying to squeeze every last dollar out of Hunters and not managing the resources for Mans enjoyment but for Predators or nuisance annimals
One only has to look at he Wolf, Mountain Lions, Bears, Coyotes, Horses, Burros and in Iowa Birds of Prey as we have a over population of Redtail Hawks.
This my Friend is when Hunting will see its demise IMHO when only wealthy people can enjoy Hunting public sediment will change and anti hunters will try and end Hunting and we will no longer have enough hunters voting.

I always wonder at what age will guys just say F it and drop out on points for the big 3? Even if a guy has 20+ points but he's now 75 or 80 and couldn't even do a guided horseback sheep hunt, would he still want to get the tag anyways because "damnit, I've been putting in for over 20 years, I deserve that tag." Or does he say, "there's no way I could shoot one even if I had the tag so I'm going to let someone else get the tag." I suppose it's different for each person but I do wonder about that quite a bit...

I'm seeing it every year guys cashing in 10-15 points for antlerless moose or ewe tags. If I'm in that deep I'm staying the coarse as long as I can for the big three types.

Aging does nothing more than stabilize the number of points required to draw a tag somewhere near where they are when all the original entrants to the point game begin dying off.. The only thing that would cause the number to actually drop would be fewer hunters entering the system as the old ones died off. As mentioned many times before, that actually spells the end of public hunting as we know it.

The point game is nothing more than aging men and stubborn ambitions. lol
Yep. Just like Church League Softball!! ha
[/QUOTE]
Except in church league softball you getting to play doesn’t prevent young guys from playing.

Takeaway:

The point game is nothing more than aging men and stubborn ambitions. lol

It seems kind of silly that some guys grow old trying to draw a tag in their perceived dream unit and still never draw that tag. Personally I would rather hunt on a regular basis than wait decades for a special tag.

I don't agree. Guys are talking about buying points for up to 50 yrs for their kids so they can hunt moose - once.

Some people really would rather have one quality hunt (whatever that means to them - not me) instead of a bunch of poor quality hunts. Quality over quantity is not a new concept to me. One trip to Alaska or 6 to Wyoming? Or 27 here in Iowa. Hmm, not a hard decision at all.

I don't think anyone's hunting dreams are silly, even if they aren't mine.

I don't agree. Guys are talking about buying points for up to 50 yrs for their kids so they can hunt moose - once.

Some people really would rather have one quality hunt (whatever that means to them - not me) instead of a bunch of poor quality hunts. Quality over quantity is not a new concept to me. One trip to Alaska or 6 to Wyoming? Or 27 here in Iowa. Hmm, not a hard decision at all.

I don't think anyone's hunting dreams are silly, even if they aren't mine.

Since I'm the one you are most likely referring to, I would agree with you on the preference for a higher quantity of hunts over just having one quality hunt. Also, I'm talking about applying him for 40 years for a sheep hunt, not a moose hunt! ;)

The problem is with Moose, Sheep & Goat, there really isn't a way to have a "quantity" of hunts for those species unless you are going to be hunting the unlimiteds in Montana or move to Alaska. I'm all for hunting every year, preferably multiple times each year, but there just aren't enough MSG to go around for everyone that wants to hunt them. That's why I do apply for and sometime go with OTC type hunts for elk, deer and antelope pretty much every year.

If it meant that I couldn't hunt elk, deer and antelope on a regular basis to have a chance to hunt bighorn sheep even once in my lifetime there is no way I would do it. That doesn't keep me from continuing to apply on the chance that lightning will strike and I get to hunt bighorn sheep someday though. I may have used up all my luck by now with a 2% draw on Wyoming Mountain Goat and a .29% draw on Alaska Bison. I would trade the Bison tag for a sheep tag but not sure I would have traded the goat tag for a sheep tag.

I do wonder where this whole ponzi scheme is going as some of these older hunters "age out".

Sheep, moose, squirrel - whatever it is, it's your dream. Mine has always been a moose hunt, which I did in AK in 2015 (no points, no lottery required). We all have dreams and we all make sacrifices to achieve some of them while others may have to remain just dreams.

PS. if I had to choose goat vs sheep, it would be darn tough.
PPS. there has to be an eventual stable age distribution of points, but it would be no fun and too depressing to calculate.

Most of the western system is cringeworthy, if you only look at it from a hunter's perspective. Boards ran by agriculture interests, PP's, BP's, units. I've only hunted 3 states before I moved out west, Alaska, Florida, and Georgia. I had no idea I would be missing the abundance of game and opportunity I previously enjoyed, before moving out here. But the air is clean, the mountains are beautiful and the population is low. All reasons to stay.

Ponzy schemes always fail - just a matter of when and how much damage is done in the process.

I guess I hit it at about the right time. I have drawn some glory, good and other tags and plan to draw some more. It seems like most things in life change and it becomes hard sometimes to accept. I have gotten to the point where I feel like I have had enough on certain things so I understand the sentiment for some. I am near retirement age, saved a decent amount of retirement cash and have banked a ton of points in different states by not drawing or just buying points until I could draw the tags I wanted. In 2017 I drew Wy moose, 2018 Colo sheep, in 2019 I could draw a Wy sheep but will hope to live a few more years and hunt them when I have a little more time.

I can't even justify a moose application in wyoming anymore with the cc fees.. my only hope will ever be a random tag and the odds vs $$ has me saving to go to alaska.. maybe more people my age will start to realize we are P*ssing up the rope for the big 3 in most cases. which really sucks.
I couldn't agree more and it's really unfortunate because the less interest there is in a species the more likely that species gets left in the rear view

I think this is likely to be the case. I don't have points anywhere, am 32 years old, been hunting most of my life, and trying to decide whether the point game is really worth it. There have been several posts here lately where people talk about getting started only to be told that they're basically too late by the time they're my age.

If anything, I'm likely to start building points just to the 3 - 5 point range for slightly better hunting opportunities. I think there will be a shift towards that mindset for us "new" guys and away from the mindset of maximum point, once in a life, dream unit hunts.
This, I am 34 and am not bothering with any points for the big 3 or saving points for top hunts for any species. I am planning on building points for elk, deer and lope only until I have time to hunt that state for that species. Easy to complain but there are so many hunting opportunities available in this great country that my biggest trouble each year is deciding which to take advantage of. Any person that decides not to hunt because of lack of opportunity only wants to brag about their picture behind a trophy without work they don’t want to actually hunt for it. Yes, the big three are tough to go for but that gives me something to dream about and when I have a little extra cash I throw it at those .000001 odds instead off the powerball. But even with those species there is Alaska or Canada. Yes they are expensive but if that is your goal it is doable for anybody that wants it bad enough.
Sorry for the rant, I know there is room improvement in many areas. I guess I am worked up today, but I hate hearing people blame lack of opportunity for hunter recruitment because it is in no way true. Hunting can be expensive but have you ever looked into other hobbies? Racing is serious money, so is golf trips and anything else when you get serious.

Just a thought but I feel that anyone getting into the big three at this point is probably wasting their time unless they are 12 years old getting in.

If you are older than 35 its probobly a serious waste of money.

I gotta tell you all that I have contemplated opting out of the sheep draw in MT due to my age, 72 yrs. old this coming a July. Although my health is fairly good and I get around the mountains well. I have 15 bonus points at this time.
Now, after these contemplations I have to relate a story that has happened these last three days. We spend our winters in SW New Mexico. I happened upon a sheep, first thought to be a desert bighorn, only to be informed that he is indeed a Rocky Mountain bighorn. This after many pics taken and forwarded to a NM biologist. I have to tell you all that this has rekindled my desire to continue applying for a sheep tag in MT.
Now, this Rocky Mountain bighorn is in a remote area, very healthy and relatively young. He is truly a magestic animal that has made my last three days very adventurous. He will endure, propagate and has truly made me smile.
Therefore, my interest rekindled, my desire to continue renewed. But, I will not kid myself into believing that I will draw a sheep tag. But, one can dream! MTG

If you are older than 35 its probobly a serious waste of money.

‘Probably’ is the key word for a lot of us. Not ‘definitely’. If I draw a tag in one of the states I put in for, it’s worth it to me.

I figure I have until I’m 55/60 before I have to realistically give up my place in line for sheep. And even then, I will be putting in for less ‘classic alpine’ sheep hunts as I get older. Probably even earlier for goats, maybe 65 for moose. The odds are high that when that time comes (not super long, btw), I won’t have ever drawn a tag. It’s an unpleasant thought, but it’s realism.

I view bonus points and preference points as an investment in future hunts, outdoor recreation, and game conservation. Hopefully, most Fish & Game Departments will allow point holders to gift, devise, or sell their points at any time or upon death by will or trust. Therefore, you could stay in the point lotteries knowing someone of your choice would get your unused points at death or otherwise.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back