Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Educating non hunters

OzzyDave

Today was the start of our local archery clubs “Flectches to Field” weekend. The idea is to educate folks / members at our club, about some bushcraft and animal preparation in the field.
One of the members had secured, the night before, a young spike Rusa deer. Because of our current temps, he’d gutted it last night so we weren’t able to provide this as a demo. The morning started with a me doing a caping demonstration. We’d meant this to be a hands on demo, so encouraged anyone to give it a go. Some of the females were the first to jump in and try. Plenty of questions meant they were interested.
We have a member who was a butcher, so after caping the animal was hung and broke it down into the cuts. A quick count at one stage, we had 35 people watching on.
We had a dedicated half dozen stick around to watch the caping of the head skin. Back up at the club, the meat grinder was in full swing, showing folks how to use the tougher cuts for sausages etc.
Lunch consisted of, fresh cooked blackstrap, venison stew, bambino’s burgers and venison sausages on bread. Some folks were genuinely surprised that deer meat could be that tasty.
One lady came up to me and told me straight up she was an animal lover. I told her I was too, which seemed to take her by surprise. I casually explained that I make Australia a better place for her native animals by clearing out the feral / introduced species and some of them happen to be very tasty. We had a calm logical discussion and she thanked me for “not being an asshole about it” and “opening her eyes”.
If we’ve educated one person - it’s been a good day.

Awesome story.

If you reach just one its worth the effort.

Thanks guys - We gauged it as a success.
There’s probably only 5 members in our club that hunt on a regular basis. Because of their feral nature, we don’t have any requirements to take the meat from animals we take.
The venison stew tasted even better the next day and the slow cooked roast on Sunday was gone in a blink. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back