Eberlestock X2 and M5

Muskeez

Anyone compared both of these packs? I need a pack that I can hunt with all day and keep moving and set up camp only when we run out of daylight, and carry the barest minimum of gear to survive for 5 days. People talk about a 3 day pack vs. a 7+ day pack etc., - seems silly to me , the only thing you need for the extra days is a few more granola bars and Mt.House meals, so I would hope I wouldn't need a 5000 sq. inch pack. If anyone has suggestions on how to keep your pack light and compact, I'm all ears. (we have a frame only pack for meat hauling if necessary). I am leaning toward a very small/light tent (just can't do the tarp only, or under a tree only thing yet), and a bag that will compress down a lot. I am not willing to buy the super high dollar packs as I will only get to do one backpack hunt per year. thanks for any help.

I really like the structure of the Badlands packs and they have one of the best rated warranties out there. Eberlestocks are pretty darn good as well from what I hear...

This one seems worth waiting until July for it to be released. I would pass on the current 2200 as it seems this new one is a good rebuild of one of their best packs. It has 2900ci of space. I am assuming it will sell for $250-275 though that is just a guess.
Has an additional 1000ci over the eberstock X2 as well.
The M5 would be my choice of the two with 3100ci. The X2 just does not have enough space with only 1850ci... That, IMO is truely a "day" pack. Price wise, again, Badlands 2200 is the cats meow. :)

http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear.php?userChoice=2200
2200-1-badlands-hunting-packs.jpg

I have a Badlands 2800 I really enjoy and very much able to pack what I need for the multi day trips for what it is worth. I would not go less than 2800ci for multi day trips. Just killin some time on the overnight shift (mids). Figured I would post a response... If your a dedicated Eberlestock fan, disregard. :)

Thanks Sytes! I have a Badlands daypack for whitetail hunting here, and I love it. My buddy went to Cabelas today and picked up a X2, so we will see how much we can put in it. I believe I will be looking at the M5. I am actually starting to rethink the "other" packs,... It seems that boots and pack may be the 2 most important pieces of equipment since they are on your body most of the day,... I'll only be in a tent and bag for part of the day. So, I guess I will also look at the MR and others a little more closely unless I really like the fit of the X2. Thanks again for your help. The new upcoming Badlands one you pictured does look like a good future option.

I had an x2 for the same reason. It was a solid pack, but I still found it a bit cramped. I switched to a Horn Hunter Full Curl without the big bag. I have a meat sack that I stuff my overnight gear in or I just role with the frame that has plenty of room. Great buy and I was pleased with it last Elk season.

Thanks, I will look into the HH as well. For you MR guys, what makes a MR worth the extra $$ ? I am willing to spend more if I get more value and most importantly more comfort. I bought a particular brand of boat for the same reason, and now I won't have to buy another one for a very long time :)

Back