Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Eberlestock J34 "just one"

DKO

anybody have any experience with this pack?

I can pick one up very cheap from a buddy, just kinda had my sights on the MR CC I know there is allot of support for MR around here just curious whether the cost savings would be worth it or regretted. I can get it for $150 damn near brand new!

Just thinking I could throw a few bucks at some new boots if I went this route

Thx. opinions and comments welcomed!

I have an Eberlestock pack,blue widow, and think its excellent.I have the spike duffle that attches to it and it carries a ton of gear.I think you'll be happy with that pack,and a new set of boots

That's the pack that I use. Good pack, might not be "the best" but it will carry a load and is very comfortable to me.

My only issue with the pack is that there is only one cinch on the tail flap or whatever you want to call it and it doesn't cinch up quite as much as I would like it too. This is only an issue really when carrying a boned out elk hindquarter as it is just a big ball of meat and tends to slide down in the pack as far as it can and the tail flap lets it ride a little lower than I would prefer.

With that said, I've hauled out most of 4 elk and all of 2 big mule deer with mine (not all in one trip though! ;) )and had some pack frames available to use for the 2nd trip on 3 of those elk packouts and chose to just keep using the J34 instead of swapping it out for the pack frame. The pack frame was nice, but I didn't want to give up my hydration bladder and the J34 worked plenty good.

The blue widow has 2 of the cinches on the tail flap thing and looks like it would be better from that perspective, but I'm not sure how the scabbard works on the blue widow. I use the scabbard a lot on the J34, amazing how much easier it is hiking in the dark off trail without having to worry about your gun on your shoulder.

Found a picture of what I'm talking about.

nmsheds.jpg

The vertical cinch on the tail flap thing is as tight as it will go in that picture and there is only one vs. two on the blue widow. Two would add some stability, although that hasn't ever seemed to be an issue, and I just wish I could get it a little shorter, but the big sturdy plastic connector takes up a lot or real estate that doesn't allow it to shorten up as much as I would like.

That's really my only complaint at all though.

The J34 is the older model of the pack I 'run' ;)

I've never worn the resident favorite pack--Mystery Ranch--but I really like my Eb. Dragonfly and I think you should take that J34 for $150. The Blue Widow doesn't have a scabbard--it's built for bow hunters. The Dragonfly (J107, I think) has a scabbard and can be fitted with a 'butt bucket' (Eberlestock's term, not mine) to haul a bow more comfortably.

Mine hasn't had the courtesy to haul any meat yet :cool: but it will this fall! Good luck with the pack and the new boots!

npaden, I see exactly what you are saying and now notice even in photos it appears loose, the single strap now concerns me. load shifting sucks and I see how it could have a tendency to drop down. hmmm well i appreciate that info. that is something to consider still seems like a good pack for the money and appears you have put your to very good use!

Thanks

Screamming deal! Buy it. I have a J34 and It will haul more than I can carry...Don't worry about getting the spike duffle because it has too much room in it unless you just want a bag to put your extra hunting gear in.

I have a J107 and the spike duffle. It is a good pack. I have hauled 6 or 7 deer with it, and it did pretty well. I like the ability to collapse it down for daypack use. I pack the spike duffle and slide it in the main compartment when packing in camp, so I can keep my tent a little more organized. I only use the scabbord once I am hauling meat.

I got a MR CC over the winter, and have been walking with it quite a bit this spring. Currently, it is loaded with 2 x 40lbs bags of softener salt, and it rides pretty good. I am not sure how the J107 would handle this load.

MH,
can I ask why the MR CC if you have the J107 I have heard nothing but good about the MR CC just can't really pass this deal up, what in your opinion are the advantages of the CC as you know them to be right now?

I may buy this one with intentions to upgrade:D

I use the "Just One" and really like it, the scabbard comes in very handy. I would love to try an MR someday, but for $150 I'd "settle" for the Eberle.

Most years, I end up with a newbie coming out west with me, and it seemed like I was hauling out alot of extra meat/gear because being new to the game they didn't want to drop a bunch of money on a good pack their first time out. So, I bought the MR CC because I wanted to have a loaner pack, and variety being the spice of life, I thoguth I would get something different. I also had experience with them in AFG, they are great for hauling odd sized things (mortar rounds, ammo cans, water jugs, ect). I will end up using my CC for work as well. I think the J107 will make a good loaner because it has an adjustable yoke.

I think you will be happy with the J34, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on that deal. I think MR might have a slight edge with their NICE frame. It seems to handle the heavier loads just a little better and it has the ability to change bags.

I hope it is ok that I post the below link to a review I did on the J104 a little over a year ago. If not ok, I'll remove it...

J104 Review

I used the J34's predecessor (J104) for several years before upgrading to the MR Crew Cab and Longbow last spring. Since then, my J104 has been sitting unused, unless loaned out. I actually just sold it last week figuring it is just taking up space, but it was kind of hard to let it go as I think it is a great pack, better than most, and I had some good memories tied to it.

One of the downfalls that npaden mentioned about the bottom strap not tightening up if the pack bag isn't full can be a small issue. I normally carried enough stuff I didn't have to worry about that.

I was very happy with my J104, but the lack of adjustable suspension and the scabbard pushing the main pack bag away from my body made carrying heavy weights somewhat uncomfortable after a while. I always wanted to use that pack for overnight trips, but the comfort of it loaded down with 40+ lbs never equaled the ArcTeryx Bora 80 I was using at the time, or my Badlands 4500, so it was always left home. It does a good job of going in light and packing out a heavy load for the first load out, but fit, function, and durability doesn't compare to my MR pack(s). Then again, you pay more for the MR quality and fit/comfort, but if you use the pack a lot and comfort and durability are important to you, then either saving up for initially or upgrading later to a MR would be the way to go.

Ron

wow Ron Thanks,
I can't pass it up at $150 it may have some flaws which i may or may not be able to overcome but for the money I can't let it go! I may never upgrade or i may upgrade by Sept. only time will tell. it will be good for my son to grow into since it is adjustable;) just looking out for his best interest.:rolleyes:

Back