Ebay definitely anti gun!!!!

Hntnhrd

I have been selling aloton ebay lately. My wife found an old cap gun, like we all played with as kids, cheap so we listed it. With in a half hour it was deleted and we were notified we had violated Ebay gun policy. I reiterated it was a cap gun and would like the listing reposted. Here is there response.

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to the recent removal of your 'Cap
Gun' listing. I carefully reviewed your listing and found that we took
the correct action. We removed the listing because it didn't meet all
the requirements for selling a cap gun on eBay. Cap guns are considered
to be replica firearms, which can be mistaken for an actual firearm.

Therefore, your cap gun must have a clear, permanent marking, usually a
blaze orange plug inserted in the barrel. I suggest picking one up from
your local toy store. Listings of cap guns that do not contain an image
clearly showing that the gun is marked with an orange plug will be
removed. I certainly understand that it was not your intent to violate
our policy.

For more information on the eBay Firearms, Weapons, and Knives policy,
please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html

Anthony, if you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply
to this email and let us know.

Sincerely,
Paige

eBay Customer Support

It is silver with most of it worn off down both sides. The barrel is made in two section and I enclosed a picture of the speration down the middle.
They have really taken there anti gun stance to a very high level.

SO much for being able to buy the old toy guns - I have purchased old "Fanner 50", "Snub Nose .38" and other Mattel toys in the past off of ebay. I guess those are all going away.

As a business that sells items throughout the United States (and other countries) I can't blame them for being overly cautious. The horrible publicity that would come from one shooting like VA tech with the words "was bought from e-bay three days earlier" has the possibility to open very large law suits as well as a large decline in the market. There is a lot of competition in this market and they have a lion's share right now. It's something they would like to keep...it doesn't take a lot to take away that market. Why not just go down to the local toy shop, get the orange plugs (which can be removed later) and follow their rules...or just don't sell on e-bay.

Do toy stores sell the orange plugs? I've never seen them there. I have made toy rifles for my son out of take-off tupperware stocks and broomsticks - I just paint the end of the stick orange. I would not want to do that to a collectible antique toy.

Here you go - they sell orange plugs on ebay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/WOW-LOOK-CAP-GU...goryZ720QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Many of the toy guns for sale look like they have some makeshift piece of plastic or painted wood stuck in the barrel just to comply with ebay's "feel good" edict.

I don't want to go to the toy store and stick an orange plug in the end because 1 it is a collectable toy and 2 over 50 percent of the toy guns on ebay don't have them and haven't been deleted.

My point is that a toy is a legal item. Not regulated by a federal laws like firearms.

They have made the new policy so that about the only thing you can sell firearms related are stocks sights rings and scopes.

As far as not selling on ebay I would like to take that option, unfortunately it has almost become a full time salary. I am just going to have to stay away from anything firearm related.

If you can't figure out why they have you put an orange tip in a toy weapon...just ask any law enforcement officer. Most would tell you they prefer not to kill a kid because they are playing cops and robbers. It hasn't happened a ton but it has happened...what do they say an ounce of prevention. Besides, a plastic piece of orange in a collectible will not hurt it's value especially since it can be removed once the picture has been taken. I believe e-bay is being a little overly sensitive but "an ounce of prevention"...

If you wish to have E-bay as a full time career you will have to be the tree that bends with the wind. Putting an Orange plug on you gun does not hurt anything, the buyer can remove it later. E-bay is a pretty wimpy bunch, but if you can take what they say and work around it you both Win. As for other Gun Part sales there is always Gunbroker.com John

Some of the toys listed just have some orange tape (probably not even sticky tape) wrapped around the end of the barrel.

This is just another "feel good" move on the part of ebay, but it is an easy one to work around. The refusal to sell gun parts is another matter - they sell food. Maybe someone will get botulism, so they'd better stop that. They sell clothes - maybe something is a little too sexy, so someone might get attacked. :eek: It has been pretty well established that the seller can't be held liable for the actions of the buyer, so long as all laws and regs concenring the sale were followed. The recent legislation to protect firearms manufacturers reinforces that principle.

Cali- those orange "plugs" look like ear plugs to me ;)

So now how many "bad guys" just stick a foam plug in their bbl and then give cops the "don't shoot it's just a toy" line until it's too late for the cop?
Far fetched agreed, but what isn't any more.....

Just bought a heavy duty door closer off ebay the other day...had to get it quick (buy-it-now) before some lawyer determined I might loose a hand in the door once installed... :rolleyes: |oo

I think we just came up with a new cottage industry there Rick...at $7 for four on Ebay (inc. delivery) when we buy them here at the plant for five cents apiece. :D ...gotta love the markup!!!

Duh, numbnutz

This policy isn't from eBay, it's federal law, and for a damn good reason.
The orange plugs are required because cops were KILLING kids who had toy guns in their hands.
If it has to be spelled out to you, the orange plugs are REQUIRED on ALL toy or replica guns sold, whether it's eBay or in your local store, unless the guns are stage props, for which other rules apply.
The plugs are supposed to extend at least 6 mm out from the tip of the barrel, and must be "permanently" attached.
The ad also must specify that the gun is a toy/replica, and cannot be modified to fire projectiles.
Now I have some problems with this myself, because I own two Nichols Ranch .45 Mark II cap revolvers that were made to propel plastic pellets when a round cap detonated within the two-piece "bullets." (Try to find any of those pellets now; most everything else is available online, but the pellets are for the most part long gone!) I don't like the idea of defiling an historic toy, acknowledged by many as the "king of the cap guns," with orange plugs, but if you want to sell them legally, that's what you're supposed to do; eBay doesn't have anything to do with your bitch, they're just following the law.
While you might grouse about it, the law was put into place to KEEP COPS FROM KILLING KIDS thought to be wielding firearms. Welcome to the world as it is -- not how it used to be.

Don't know about the "cops killing kids"; if the "kids" are out in an area popping caps and making "bang" noises where cops can get involved then they should be home. If, as I suspect, any "kids" have been killed by overly zealous cops, it was most likely as a result of them trying to use the toy guns to impress or intimidate others, whether in a robbery or as a result of showing off, in which the act of going out in public with a toy gun falls under the heading of "Darwinism"

What it boils down to after all the analysis and feel good excuses is that our leaders have tried to engage in cradle to grave "cocooning" and have basically demonstrated to the American public that self-accountability is no longer necessary and soon to be extinct as a guiding force in everyday life. This barrel plug is just another example of busybody interference with the ultimate goal of trying to protect us from ourselves. I feel sure that if a cop encountered a person in the dark or similar condition where these incidents might occur and the person is brandishing a toy gun, the last thing the cop is going to do is look for some half inch orange plug.

A good dose of common sense would go much further in preventing such from occurring, but common sense is nearing extinction as well.

Just now noticed how old this thread is. Ancient

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back