Eastern South Dakota Turkeys

BangUSMC

Looking to run to South Dakota somewhere between Watertown to Sisseton to hunt turkeys. Has anyone seen birds or had experience in that area? Not looking for exact spots, just observations people have seen. Thanks in advance.

Lots of birds along the Coteau des Prairie north and south of Hwy 10. It's mostly private land but permission use to be obtained fairly easily, maybe it still is. Really cool area to hunt.

Easterns have been released but I've seen some harvested birds that looked more like hybrids.
Thank you. That is what I kind of figured. I went to a conference yesterday and a NWTF bio was a speaker and shown a map of the different subspecies in North America. It looked like much of South Dakota they would be considered hybrids.

You can find Easterns, Merriams, and Rios in SD. I think finding a pure Rio is the hardest. Most of the prairie birds my buddies or I have shot seemed to be a mix. Always wanted to take a full month and hunt various parts of the state targeting all 3 sub-species.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back