Eastern plant ID

Maybe Coryphantha Robustispine --- probably not ;)

Enjoy your trip

1 ramps/wild leek
2 dutchmans breeches
3 not bloodroot - its twinleaf

all part of a great non-taxonomic informal group of “spring ephemerals”

If you are in a limestone area with mesic woods, and in mid-atlantic area, you are in for one of the best botanizing experiences this time of year ( unless the gnats are already out!)

In your photos are a couple more if interested…

4- spring beauty (they can carpet large areas with small flowers). can cook and eat the tiny potato-like tubers.

5) a Gallium species, maybe wild madder or cleavers?

6) can’t really make it out fully but these little seedling / saplings may be pawpaw, depending on where you are at. If so, they become a small tree, often in “patches”. Early flowering, edible “tropical” fruit in fall.

also see some grape, sycamore, red oak, maybe some tulip
poplar and hornbeam in background.

Also there’s a toothwort in amongst your ramps i’ll let you find 😉 and some other baby flowers possibly including rue anemone and a chickweed. The more you look, the more you will find. hope you get some more hiking in!

send more pics in! love the taste of spring!

finally - instead of a boring App, get your hands on a copy of Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide. Old yellow hard or soft cover edition if possible (not the blue re-print with lesser paper quality). worth its weight in gold for the weekend enthusiast.

3CB3FCD2-89FC-4BFA-86DD-C747106ACE8B.jpeg

Last edited:
1 ramps/wild leek
2 dutchmans breeches

If you are in a limestone area with mesic woods, and in mid-atlantic area, you are in for one of the best botanizing experiences this time of year ( unless the gnats are already out!)

4- spring beauty (they can carpet large areas with small flowers). can cook and eat the tiny potato-like tubers.

6) can’t really make it out fully but these little seedling / saplings may be pawpaw, depending on where you are at. If so, they become a small tree, often in “patches”. Early flowering, edible “tropical” fruit in fall.

poplar and hornbeam in background.

Also there’s a toothwort in amongst your ramps i’ll let you find 😉 and some other baby flowers possibly including rue anemone and a chickweed. The more you look, the more you will find. hope you get some more hiking in!

send more pics in! love the taste of spring!

finally - instead of a boring App, get your hands on a copy of Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide. Old yellow hard or soft cover edition if possible (not the blue re-print with lesser paper quality). worth its weight in gold for the weekend enthusiast.

View attachment 217916
Why would you want waste time digging and eating a potato-like tuber when you could be digging and eating ramps? 😂

Maybe Coryphantha Robustispine --- probably not ;)

Enjoy your trip
If not Ken, it's April pushing the Britannica, thesaurus, dictionary, or Google identified articles for adult school edumacation.

There must be an inside line of humor as this one zipped right by - some variation of pineapple cactus?

If not Ken, it's April pushing the Britannica, thesaurus, dictionary, or Google identified articles for adult school edumacation.

There must be an inside line of humor as this one zipped right by - some variation of pineapple cactus?
You can find prickly pear just a few miles west of where @Hunting Wife was.

1 ramps/wild leek
2 dutchmans breeches

poplar and hornbeam in background. send more pics in! love the taste of spring!

View attachment 217916
Awesome! Thanks for the additions.

There are definitely paw paw around here, tulip trees, sycamores, grape, spice bush (I think they called it?), redbuds are just starting to bloom. Fun times seeing new things. Taking a field trip farther east today so I’m sure I’ll see more new stuff.

You can find prickly pear just a few miles west of where @Hunting Wife was.

Tried making prickly pear wine once with our tiny little northern prairie prickly pears, only to discover they are a much different animal than those in the southwest. Ours have no juice/flesh to feed yeasties with. So disappointing.

1 ramps/wild leek
2 dutchmans breeche

Looks a great deal like young redbuds.

Looks a great deal like young redbuds.

tempImagecqhpBA.jpg
tempImageuWGMCr.jpg
Ok experts, is this ramp/leek or? I've noticed these every spring in my woods but that's about all I've done, noticed just and moved on. One thing is for sure there's gazillions and gazillions of these on my property, whatever they are.

View attachment 220774
View attachment 220775
Ok experts, is this ramp/leek or? I've noticed these every spring in my woods but that's about all I've done, noticed just and moved on. One thing is for sure there's gazillions and gazillions of these on my property, whatever they are.
Those look like ramps to me. I mostly find a variety that looks a little different (red stem), but I occasionally find some that look like what you found.

278E2666-D7F9-4A51-8842-1083ACF75DB7.jpegA4F7AAC8-EEF1-4B66-A0F8-1BC0A52CBF89.jpeg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back