Eastern plant ID

Hunting Wife

So I’m in the East for a couple of weeks attending a training and went for a little hike this afternoon. Lots of foreign (to me) plants and I figured some of you probably know these.

#1- I think these are ramps, right? I’ve never seen them before, but I did graze on a couple and if I wasn’t in a conservation area I would be taking a bag back with me when I leave. Yum.

79D8103E-E86B-4A20-A03E-80C7DB6A2631.jpeg

#2 - looks like some kind of Dicentra relative?
A4F384D9-0492-478F-BADC-3EEDDA4D8A40.jpeg

#3 - these are everywhere and I can’t come up with a family. Lily maybe? They are kind of beat up from the storms here lately.
861F3906-77AF-42C7-AECF-01D82825D17A.jpeg

Anybody know these?

@BAKPAKR is so kind to send me pics every spring of the deliscious meals he makes with the ones he digs up. Haha
I haven’t been out for ramps yet because it has been snowing off and on and the ones at the edge of our yard are still very small. The photo posted by @Hunting Wife makes me think I had better go check where I actually get them.

So I’m in the East for a couple of weeks attending a training and went for a little hike this afternoon. Lots of foreign (to me) plants and I figured some of you probably know these.

#1- I think these are ramps, right? I’ve never seen them before, but I did graze on a couple and if I wasn’t in a conservation area I would be taking a bag back with me when I leave. Yum.

View attachment 217674

View attachment 217675

#3 - these are everywhere and I can’t come up with a family. Lily maybe? They are kind of beat up from the storms here lately.
View attachment 217678

Anybody know these?
If the ramps are that well established you might be in a spot that's been warm enough for morels. Did you spot any?

View attachment 217674

View attachment 217675

View attachment 217678

Anybody know these?
Do you know about phone apps like PlantSnap? There are others as well and the work well, mostly.

@JohnBud is correct
1.ramps - if you pick one it will smell like onion, in a patch like that you won’t have to pick them. It will just smell.
2. Dutchmens britches
3. Blodroot - pick one, a red dye will come out of the roots, hence the name.

There are probably Virginia bluebells, hepatica, trilliums, and Jack in the pulpit blooming as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back