Caribou Gear

Eastern Hunter - Travel Question

Not an Eastcoaster, but I drive from LA to Eastern Montana once a year. Its a 24 hour drive non-stop. Ide recommend to drive out. Its a long ways but the drive is half the fun if your going with your family and friends. Over the years we have adopted a system that works really well: Three guys to a truck, one drives, the second navigates/talks to the driver, and a third lays down on the back seat and rests, and we alternate every 4 to 6 hours. Really, the time flies and you get to see some beautiful country you normally wouldn't see & each year the drive feels shorter. You can take all the gear you want with you, and return with all of your meat. Trying to fly with guns, ammo, gear, meat and racks seems like a logistical nightmare.

If you only have one week - driving becomes a tougher argument as you're losing hunting days. Otherwise, drive it. The last two years I've taken two weeks of work off, leave Boston early afternoon on a Friday, arrive Western Montana in time for an evening hunt on Sunday. Solo the first year, had a partner for the drive out the second year even though I drove most of it. In a strange way, I really enjoy the drive. Load up on podcasts, elk calling sounds and instructional content, and hit the road.

Thinking about Alaska for a Kodiak Blacktail / Caribou hunt next year, pretty sure I won't be able to drive that one, nor do it solo. Anyone interested?

Drive it, talk 1 or 2 people into going with you. Makes all the logistics easier, plus if you get an elk, you can get it back with minimal concerns.

I drove it from NC when I lived there. Get some audiobooks, makes the trip go by twice as fast.

I think our plan to drive vs. fly will ultimately be based upon the length of the trip we are able to do. For a trip of about a week, I think flying might make the most sense to maximize time in the field, though should we be able to do 2 weeks, driving would be the best option.

I went from Indiana to CO. 6 1/2 days of hunting. $450 round trip flights, $200 in bag fees to get my gear there, $400 rental beater truck (and I mean it had dirt clods on the dash and the whole side was smashed in beater truck- probably my favorite memory of the trip driving that stick shift around the Grand Mesa) $550 to have the elk mount shipped home, $450 to have the meat shipped home from the processor (couldn't get it done in time to put on my plane) - You could drive there and back with your meat and head and gear for less than this. I just didn't have the time to drive. Plus, I could have processed the meat myself if I had coolers or a freezer to get it home in. (savings of another $400). It's a time vs. cost decision. My wife reminds me every few weeks that I may have made the wrong decision......

We've been driving it for 8 or 9 years now (some years extra trip for scouting). Most years we are pulling horses. Not sure what airlines would charge for them?
Horses make for even more stories and interesting sleeping arrangements... Spent many nights in the tack room floor or on the roof on top of the hay under the stars in Walmart parking lot. We're making memories here - the trip is half the fun! By the way, not all Walmart's allow overnight parking. Ask me how I know...

That being said, last year my buddies decided to stay extra days and I couldn't, so I flew home. That didn't turn up any good stories, but sure was nice, for a change. One carry-on and gone. They brought my gear/bow back with them (I had no meat, or horse).

I went from Indiana to CO. 6 1/2 days of hunting. $450 round trip flights, $200 in bag fees to get my gear there, $400 rental beater truck (and I mean it had dirt clods on the dash and the whole side was smashed in beater truck- probably my favorite memory of the trip driving that stick shift around the Grand Mesa) $550 to have the elk mount shipped home, $450 to have the meat shipped home from the processor (couldn't get it done in time to put on my plane) - You could drive there and back with your meat and head and gear for less than this. I just didn't have the time to drive. Plus, I could have processed the meat myself if I had coolers or a freezer to get it home in. (savings of another $400). It's a time vs. cost decision. My wife reminds me every few weeks that I may have made the wrong decision......
Those last two sentences say A LOT!! I generally drive, but if I am meeting someone there I fly. I really do like saving the days of travel by flying to spend it on the hunt, but as was stated that can come with a cost...

I am just south of Pittsburgh and I drive out to either Colorado or Wyoming once or twice each year, often by myself. I don't mind the drive and just pull over at a rest area to nap. I try to leave on a Wednesday right after work and that puts me out near where I want to be the next evening. I'll get motel room so I can get a good nights sleep and go set up camp and hunt till the next Friday morning the pull out for the drive back.

I used to fly for hunts in Colorado. The past 2 hunts to CO, I have driven. I have also done road trips 6 times to Ontario, Canada and one last fall to Newfoundland. Won't fly again. Just my $.02.

We have done cross country drives (I live in NYS) with 2, 3 and 4 guys. We rotate each tank of gas. Driving provides less stress of airline crap. Cost wise, splitting gas (say with 4 guys) is much cheaper than flying, no gear issues (especially with guns of any sort - bows were not much of an issue) and you can bring what you want and more ease and lower cost of getting meat home. The last year I flew, it cost me $525 to have meat sent from the processor via next day air by Fed Ex. Meat arrived frozen, but post 9/11/2001 the costs for UPS & Fed X went up a bunch!

I hit a small buck in Nebraska, 700 miles away from home. My F150 had a radiator pushed back 5-6" in the middle and the tranny cooler was hanging and all flattened, but were lucky and lost no fluids. The truck made it home, $6,200 in damages that the Ins. paid. Another trip, my buddy's GMC lost a left front wheel bearing. We went from a small noise to being dead on the roadside in 100 miles. I had AAA, so a 100 mile tow to a Chevy dealer and near a hotel was free.

Going to Co and driving this Sept. For me, its THE way to go....

I too am in VA. I have been to CO the last 10 years or so and I always fly. The No. VA area to southern CO seems too far to drive (~1700-1800mi). I am fortunate to have family pick me up in Denver. I have a good system for packing and I get all my stuff in one piece of luggage (<50lbs), my rifle case and a carry-on (my back pack). A couple items such as stove fuel I pick up once there. I've never had an issue flying with my rifle. In fact, they (United Airlines) have always been very good. I do always plan for direct flights to eliminate one possible failure. You have the additional step of taking the rifle to TSA, but it's never been much of a delay.

Having said that, I am considering driving this year. One; I can put a cooler in my truck and just bring all the meat back. Two; since I can head straight back vice rescheduling a flight, I can probably get home as soon or sooner by leaving direct from the trailhead. Although, I will have to leave at least a day earlier to be at the camp site at our usual time. I am concerned about how I'll feel when I arrive at the trail head after 25-30 hrs of driving.

I cant help but wonder with you guys that drive solo, seems like a few of you are close enough to drive out and hunt together.

I'm tired of waiting for people so I drive myself. I don't want to find out that somebody is a case of road rage waiting to happen, again.

I'm tired of waiting for people so I drive myself. I don't want to find out that somebody is a case of road rage waiting to happen, again.

I hear ya, I wont hunt with or go on a hunt with someone I dont know. Id make a point to spend some time doing something, work out hikes, some type of hunting, heck Id even help him work on his house and thats just for an elk gun hunt, I think Id need rights to their first born to ever bow elk hunt with another guy again.

I like to drive. I actually enjoy it mostly, it builds anticipation before the hunt, and gives me a chance to reflect on the hunt on the way home.

I do think I put the fear of God in 1pointer last year. We had a 30 hr drive ahead of us. Probably 20 minutes into it I had to get on the brakes pretty hard, and we had coolers, rifle cases, and all kinds of junk flying up into the front seat with us. I know he thought he'd climbed in with a crazy person.

I like to drive. I actually enjoy it mostly, it builds anticipation before the hunt, and gives me a chance to reflect on the hunt on the way home.

I do think I put the fear of God in 1pointer last year. We had a 30 hr drive ahead of us. Probably 20 minutes into it I had to get on the brakes pretty hard, and we had coolers, rifle cases, and all kinds of junk flying up into the front seat with us. I know he thought he'd climbed in with a crazy person.
HA! I deal with Indy traffic everyday, so I'm used to that. :D My wife thought it was a bit odd that the first time I met you was to get into your vehichle for a 30hr drive....

I went through the same debate last year, OH to WY. When I sat down and seriously crunched the $$$$ numbers, it came down to this.

~ Flying: Only saved me a day, each way. I would have to deal with the extra time to get through TSA, checking in a weapon hassles (known & unforeseen), wait time getting my stuff at the airport, assuming it all got there, then getting to vehicle rental agency, dragging/transferring bags multiple times, adhering to an exact schedule.......and then doing it in reverse + x-tra $$$ for the meat.

~ Driving: Cost me a day, each way. Left when I planned to, missing heavy traffic as I planned, stopping when I planned. Loaded my crap once. No TSA/airport crap. Stopped along the way when I felt like it, kept going when I felt like. I saw part of America I had never seen before, and not from 35,00ft. Flirted with whatever lady, at what ever stop, as I saw fit (didn't as I saw fit, just as well).

Bottom line was, I took 1 week off from work, spent 6 days hunting, and made it with enough time to spare to not be dead beat upon arrival, nor return.

And I did by my onesies. Grab a partner and you can cut the behind the wheel/travel time.

Last edited:
Haha, glad my wife isn't the only one who gives that reminder! That's good info on the cost, thanks for sharing that!

It's cool to see all the VA guys on here! I knew there were a few of us from looking around the site, but thought a lot of members would be from the West!

I too am in VA. I have been to CO the last 10 years or so and I always fly. The No. VA area to southern CO seems too far to drive (~1700-1800mi). I am fortunate to have family pick me up in Denver. I have a good system for packing and I get all my stuff in one piece of luggage (<50lbs), my rifle case and a carry-on (my back pack). A couple items such as stove fuel I pick up once there. I've never had an issue flying with my rifle. In fact, they (United Airlines) have always been very good. I do always plan for direct flights to eliminate one possible failure. You have the additional step of taking the rifle to TSA, but it's never been much of a delay.

Having said that, I am considering driving this year. One; I can put a cooler in my truck and just bring all the meat back. Two; since I can head straight back vice rescheduling a flight, I can probably get home as soon or sooner by leaving direct from the trailhead. Although, I will have to leave at least a day earlier to be at the camp site at our usual time. I am concerned about how I'll feel when I arrive at the trail head after 25-30 hrs of driving.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back