Yeti GOBOX Collection

Eastern Draw Hunts

North Carolina has several limited public land hunts. The most difficult to draw is Lake Mattamuskeet duck hunting w 3% draw odds. The Tundra swan hunts are limited but have an 80% draw success. A fun hunt for kids.
It is my understanding that the state will have a draw for Elk as soon as the herd reaches a stable #.

Here in IL, you have to draw to hunt shotgun/muzzloader deer and spring turkey on almost every piece of public property managed by the IL DNR.

North Carolina has several limited public land hunts. The most difficult to draw is Lake Mattamuskeet duck hunting w 3% draw odds. The Tundra swan hunts are limited but have an 80% draw success. A fun hunt for kids.
It is my understanding that the state will have a draw for Elk as soon as the herd reaches a stable #.
It’s my bucket list goal to kill an elk here in NC. A long shot but it’s a dream of mine.

Extremely tough to draw but Pennsylvania's elk draw happens on saturday 8/15. They only draw 36 bull tags and around 140 cow tags but somebody gotta win. Then on sunday they draw 1 governors tag which u can still buy chances for.

Extremely tough to draw but Pennsylvania's elk draw happens on saturday 8/15.

Wow you weren’t kidding - (fun fact - that PA wildlife website is pretty easy to navigate). Good luck w the draw! Did you put in for all three seasons?
Just wondering your opinion- given that PA has a bonus point system for so few elk tags per year, what are your thoughts on the point system and associated creep in your state? In TN they dont carry points year to year - though instead of 160+ tags like in PA, in TN there are more like 14-16 depending on the year plus a youth tag and a TWRA raffle tag. Again, good luck!

51489684-822E-49D0-AFC3-EF1402DA8BE9.jpeg

Just wondering your opinion- given that PA has a bonus point system for so few elk tags per year, what are your thoughts on the point system and associated creep in your state?

Point creep in Pennsylvania is irrelevant. In my mind point creep is only applicable in true preference point systems, or in those bonus point systems that Cube points. Point creep hurts people that actually expect to draw a tag. No one should expect to draw a PA Elk tag. For PA, It does not really matter how many points you have - with so few tags and approximately 30,000 applicants (combined across multiple hunts I know) it is a lottery either way. Yes if you have the max 17 points in the general license category your odds are better, but not prohibitively better than someone starting out. I think PA has done this right the low cost of $12 per application combined with the incentive of bonus points keeps people investing year after year. Think of it as a raffle instead of an application and you are good.

Point creep hurts people that actually expect to draw a tag. No one should expect to draw a PA Elk tag.

Think of it as a raffle instead of an application and you are good.
I really appreciate that answer and way of seeing it as a lottery and not an expectations or entitlement. Also agreed it is priced well! Thank you for that super helpful perspective - sage advice right there.

SC has some phenomenal gator hunting. It usually takes a resident 4yrs to draw. Idk how long it takes a non res. Applications deadline is June 15th. The season takes place mid Sep - mid Oct. Gator is by far the best draw hunt SCDNR has to offer.

SC has some phenomenal gator hunting. It usually takes a resident 4yrs to draw. Idk how long it takes a non res. Applications deadline is June 15th. The season takes place mid Sep - mid Oct. Gator is by far the best draw hunt SCDNR has to offer.
So we gonna go when I draw one? 🐊

Well well well... I drew the Land Between the Lakes tag (with one point).

I have access to private property in the area that is frankly better hunting. But this unit is the same one where my grandfather (deceased), his brother (deceased), and my father used to set up deer camp with a Winnebago known affectionately as "Big Bertha" (in the interregnum of the reigns of the howitzer and drivers of the same moniker).

Now it's my turn to show up with my own RV, brother, and father to recreate what once was. This has potential to be special. Or a memorable train wreck.

Well well well... I drew the Land Between the Lakes tag (with one point).

I have access to private property in the area that is frankly better hunting. But this unit is the same one where my grandfather (deceased), his brother (deceased), and my father used to set up deer camp with a Winnebago known affectionately as "Big Bertha" (in the interregnum of the reigns of the howitzer and drivers of the same moniker).

Now it's my turn to show up with my own RV, brother, and father to recreate what once was. This has potential to be special. Or a memorable train wreck.
Sounds fun!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back