Eastern Colorado Turkey Hunting

AggieHunter

I have a draw turkey tag for units 124, 125, 129 dow by Rocky Ford and La Junta and wanted to know if anyone has experience with this area from hunting turkey, deer, or just with maybe some of the SWA in general. Will be scouting soon and plan to use maybe an owl hoot to try and get some gobbles. Any tips for Colorado Rios or hunting the Arkansas are also appreciated. Thanks.

I've been in the Rocky Ford SWA small game hunting a few times and have spooked turkeys here and there but never had a turkey tag, Timpas creek is a shit hole but I suppose a turkey could live there. Melon Valley used to be a youth only hunt but there were turkeys there if its not. Holbrook Reservoir might hold birds but if I remember right it was mainly reservoir … could be wrong only been there once. I've seen some sign on the Oxbow but I believe the main part(130) is OTC turkey..IMO there are a lot better tags to have but I hope you can get it done. Keep us informed

You should have a good time. They are river bottom Rios. They really dont roam that far like merriams will. Get in an area with good sign. If you cant get on a roost, stick it out all day. Afternoon can be better.

The Arkansas has plenty of birds to keep you busy. Don't be afraid to knock on doors.

Call CPW and get the local wardens number.

I've been in the Rocky Ford SWA small game hunting a few times and have spooked turkeys here and there but never had a turkey tag, Timpas creek is a shit hole but I suppose a turkey could live there. Melon Valley used to be a youth only hunt but there were turkeys there if its not. Holbrook Reservoir might hold birds but if I remember right it was mainly reservoir … could be wrong only been there once. I've seen some sign on the Oxbow but I believe the main part(130) is OTC turkey..IMO there are a lot better tags to have but I hope you can get it done. Keep us informed

Checked out Rocky Ford saw lots of tracks and four birds. I haven't driven out to Oxbow or John Martin Reservoir SWA so I may check them out this week too. Barley found any sign at Melon Valley, but it does have youth-only hunting on weekends which might help me with crowds opening day. Timpas I saw a couple tracks.

I have seen birds multiple times on the same piece of private just don't know what asking would be like right before the season and with the corona thing.
Ya it’s a weird year for trying to get permission. If you know the address you could try the good old fashion phone book. Most of those people still have land lines

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but while scouting for areas I looked at both Rocky Ford and Timpas Creek SWA in the Colorado land brochure and it doesn't list Turkey as a legal game animal in them. Am I reading it wrong? I've never wanted to be so wrong in my life lol

Ill correct myself, I was wrong. While Dove hunting at Timpas Creek I was checked by the ranger and asked him what the deal was with certain species being listed and some not when they are clearly hunted in that area. He said in the brochure they just list the most popular animals hunted there and as long as it is not specifically listed as do not hunt then it can be hunted in the area assuming it is the season and such.

Maybe im the only person who didnt know that but in case im not I hope it helps someone out...

Also I hope you had luck with your Turkey hunt!

Back