Eastern CO OTC

ZackW

Since I haven’t drawn any tags this year, I was thinking about heading to eastern Colorado and trying the otc antelope archery. I live in Oklahoma, so it’s not a terrible drive and I could go a couple of times. I’m wondering if anyone else has tried this and if they got into any antelope. If not, there are a few other options I’m considering. I’m not looking for trophies, just opportunities to get some stalks in.

Can’t speak to SE Colorado, but I’ve been on a hunt in NE Colorado with a muzzleloader and have seen success. I’ve hunted farther west with a bow and I’ll tell you that it’s a very fun hunt. I’m convinced that it’s not actually possible to shoot an antelope with a bow and anyone who “has done it” must’ve actually shot it with their rifle and posed for the photo with a bow.
It’s fun but very difficult

I'd do it. There will be a lot of weekend warriors, try and get out during the week. There's not a ton of antelope out there, but they can be found if you keep looking. Hardest part will be finding them in an area that's not as flat as a window, they are smart and definitely like sticking to the flat areas. That being said, I've gotten 2 at less than 100yds with a muzzleloader, getting within bow range is possible, and quite possibly the most exciting thing I've ever done. Good luck

Can’t speak to SE Colorado, but I’ve been on a hunt in NE Colorado with a muzzleloader and have seen success. I’ve hunted farther west with a bow and I’ll tell you that it’s a very fun hunt. I’m convinced that it’s not actually possible to shoot an antelope with a bow and anyone who “has done it” must’ve actually shot it with their rifle and posed for the photo with a bow.
It’s fun but very difficult
Shot a buck with a an OTC bow tag on 2nd day of my first antelope hunt ever (1st western hunt). Nonresident, almost 2000 miles from home, solo, no help, no OnX, no google earth, never been to area before that week, not over water. It was more than luck (i did a few things right) but I DID get lucky too. It can be done so give it a try!

Since I haven’t drawn any tags this year, I was thinking about heading to eastern Colorado and trying the otc antelope archery. I live in Oklahoma, so it’s not a terrible drive and I could go a couple of times. I’m wondering if anyone else has tried this and if they got into any antelope. If not, there are a few other options I’m considering. I’m not looking for trophies, just opportunities to get some stalks in.
Why not hunt your home state for a fraction of the cost?

Trying to find something to do in August and/or September. Nothing opens in Oklahoma until October.

Have you tried Oklahoma otc?

Good luck to you. Come out here and try it. I would get a tag which has the most public land as possible. Be careful about the Colorado state trust lands. Can’t hunt in most of them. Also look into the Pawnee. I saw a few left over tags there. I’m sure you’ll be successful as long as you get an area with A lot of access.. good luck

Last year was my first Antelope hunt and I am luck enough to have a tag again this year. Antelope are very curious creatures I'd you take your time and don't push them. I had a buck walk on over 700 yards just to come see what I was. He got within 110 yards, I was muzzleloader hunting, I took a shot at him but buck fever got the better of me. Shot right over his back!

Excellent experience and whatever method you hunt with will be a learning experience and a great time!

Good luck on whatever your endeavors may be this fall!

A lot of flat and open space in eastern Colorado, making getting close tough. I would consider getting a decoy to help get close. You can scout some general areas, but from my experience, antelope move a lot. Getting a general idea of the landscape would be good to make an A, B, C, and D plan.

Back