Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Eastern Black Bear Scent

tomengineer

I'm here in New York State and we cannot bait bears but can use up to 1.5 ounces of liquid scent. Does anyone know of a product that would be appropriate for this? I have done a decent amount of research and have seen the term "anise spray" thrown around but I'm wondering if anyone would recommend a specific product. I don't see anything that is especially well reviewed. I'm also fine making my own if anyone does that.

I'm here in New York State and we cannot bait bears but can use up to 1.5 ounces of liquid scent. Does anyone know of a product that would be appropriate for this? I have done a decent amount of research and have seen the term "anise spray" thrown around but I'm wondering if anyone would recommend a specific product. I don't see anything that is especially well reviewed. I'm also fine making my own if anyone does that.
I have baited bears in the west Anise oil look online green Heath essential oils cheaper the more ounces you buy it can be extremely effective

I have baited bears in the west Anise oil look online green Heath essential oils cheaper the more ounces you buy it can be extremely effective
Ok thanks I saw those but wasn’t sure if it was what I was looking for.

Yes!! The gold rush by Northwoods Bear Products is literally gold! I mix with a little fresh fryer grease to it and you’re set. It’s worth the extra dollar and I’ve had excellent results with their products. Good luck!

Can you use the aerosols? I brought in a black bear for my daughter after baiting season using a Bear Bomb cake icing scent.

BrettWindy42, which scent do you use? I tried their bacon with no luck, but I think the bears in my area prefer sweets to savory scents.

I’ve used several of them but my favourites would be anise, gold rush, and I have had good luck with raspberry. The raspberries come out when I hunt northern Ontario in august and it’s always hard to beat something natural, so I use that to my advantage and try to enhance the smell and it’s been great and brings in new bears when I use it.

Back