East of the Mississippi

Gunner46

Hunt Talk is heavy on hunting west of the Mississippi, but there are a Ton on us in the East that can just not make it this year.
Work, Family, Finances just preclude that trip.

We all hope all the fun you deserve, from all your efforts with just getting a tag. We envy each & every one of you that post a story.

Here is a thread for us on the other side of river this season.

Post 'Em & Show 'Em Guys.

I'm just starting my seasons here in Pa.I don't waste much time in Oct up in a tree.All next week I'll be in my stand bowhunting some big swamp bucks and any bears that come thru.The rut should really get going by the end of next week with bucks on their feet all day.I did a bit of pheasant hunting last week with my son and dog.We managed to take 4 pheasants on a couple of trips.Thinking of getting my trapline set for fox and coyote sometime this week.November is the best month of the year in my state.After Nov.,I'll get thru Christmas and then research for my winter elk and deer applications

Had this guy get close wednesday night. Close but not within bow range and I glad because he would have been tempting. Not what I'm after but I don't know if I could have kept my finger off the trigger.
2556.jpg

My hopes are set on Alabama and Ohio for deer. Excited to be getting back to Alabama after a 8 year hiatus. I hope to get in about 3-4 trips up there from South Florida and one trip to Ohio.

I have a few pretty nice bucks I"ll be chasing here in Virginia. I have a small piece of private property that I've killed a few nice deer on in the past but I plan to spend as much times as possible in the mountains on National Forest. I have a 6+ year old main frame 6x6 on camera that I really hope my dad gets, but I certainly am not going to pass him up either, lol. I'm sure I'll sit and watch a parade of bears walk by waiting him out, but I didn't even buy a bear tag since I'm focused on this buck or one of two big 8's in the area as well. I already killed two antelope this year and a small buck with my bow here in VA so I'm hunting for another taxidermy bill now. Muzzleloader season comes in Saturday.

Had this guy get close wednesday night. Close but not within bow range and I glad because he would have been tempting. Not what I'm after but I don't know if I could have kept my finger off the trigger.
View attachment 75806

Should have been able to run that deer down, he must be downright geriatric by now!

J/k, good luck, I've been hitting it hard over on this side of the state line the last few days.

CT bow season opened in mid Sept. I put 2 deer in the freezer the first 2 weekends. Since then it's been a parade of small bucks and skips that have all gotten a free pass. Mass opened 10/16, so far I've only managed to get in a few sits near work in the afternoon. Things are getting ready break wide open and I plan on hitting it pretty hard. In Mass it's bucks only for me this year (no doe tag) and I'm not very picky as to what size buck I harvest if the opportunity presents itself. In CT I am saving my last buck tag for a good buck. I also head to Maine from the 15th-23rd, this is very low deer density area and any buck that walks by may be in trouble.

It's prime time for whitetail action in the midwest. Just punched my archery tag on a big 5x6 in southern, IL Friday (photo in deer forum), now back home for a while trying for another in IN. Also tried a the crossbow early and bagged a fat doe back on October 8th. I'll be hunting hard in IN, IL & KS from now thru December.

Last edited:
Got to take a 2 y/o 8 point for a pirogue ride this evening.

Last edited:
On stand now in a suburban spraw setup on 25 acres. Listening to everyone drive to work. Killed a 20” wide buck here last year. Plenty of deer around.

Hunt Talk is heavy on hunting west of the Mississippi, but there are a Ton on us in the East that can just not make it this year.
Work, Family, Finances just preclude that trip.

We all hope all the fun you deserve, from all your efforts with just getting a tag. We envy each & every one of you that post a story.

Here is a thread for us on the other side of river this season.

Post 'Em & Show 'Em Guys.

And while I live and hunt out west now, I'm getting a little envious of my buddies back home in Wisconsin sending me pictures of the whitetail they've been taking this year.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back