Earthquake

Felt it here in Trout Creek MT. The quake was centered in the Shake Ck drainage which is a tributary of the middle fork of the salmon river. I have a buddy with a permit for later this summer and it looks like there is a possibility that the quake resulted in a major blockage of the river. If it did, it will most likely blow out by late spring but it could result in some brand new rapids.

Check out the crazy drop in cfs on the middle fork right after the quake. Something definitely happened in there.
91207268_10216670293857302_8592844084450689024_n.jpg

Felt it here in Trout Creek MT. The quake was centered in the Shake Ck drainage which is a tributary of the middle fork of the salmon river. I have a buddy with a permit for later this summer and it looks like there is a possibility that the quake resulted in a major blockage of the river. If it did, it will most likely blow out by late spring but it could result in some brand new rapids.

Check out the crazy drop in cfs on the middle fork right after the quake. Something definitely happened in there.
View attachment 134124

My gut reaction is that is a gauge issue. I've helped install them and they are fairly highly calibrated. A quake could really wack them out. Don't know for sure, but just a hunch.

Here's the Middle Fk at its mouth

1585775973477.png

My gut reaction is that is a gauge issue. I've helped install them and they are fairly highly calibrated. A quake could really wack them out. Don't know for sure, but just a hunch.
That's starting to drop too. Considering there is a delay I'll bet a chicken fried steak it's real.

Here's the Middle Fk at its mouth

View attachment 134132

Definitely could be, or a possible ice jam. That area is renowned for major landslides ending up in the river. When I floated it a few years ago, I was amazed at how often new rapids are created and old ones disappear due to landslides or creek blowouts. I really shouldn't have been surprised with how crazy steep it is in there and with all the fire activity creating unstable soil conditions.

Many descriptions in the guidebooks like this:

"Mile 21.7: Lake Creek Rapid was formed by landslides from Lake Creek. The most recent blowout was on July 26, 2006 and sent logs downstream to Pistol Creek which spanned the river and were eventually blown out by dynamite."

A Forest Service Report on a blowout in 2011:

"RIVER RUNNING -- The April 1 blowout of Black Creek is still blocking the main Salmon River with a logjam this week, and has also formed a big new rapid that’s raised the river level high enough to totally obliterate Salmon Falls, a major rapid a half-mile upriver.

Salmon-Challis National Forest employees confirmed April 5 that a flood had carried rocks and other debris down Black Creek, forming a new rapid with a large drop and big holes, plus creating a logjam across the entire channel, making the Salmon River impassable about an eighth of a mile below the creek.

The Forest Service’s strategy is to wait and see if high water later this spring will dislodge the jam naturally, said North Fork District Ranger Russ Bacon."

I have floated the Main Salmon once before the 2011 blowout and once after and it had a major impact on that part of the canyon.

It felt strong here, I live in the foothills right above Boise. My windows and pictures were vibrating like hell
and my 2 story house was definitely swaying a couple inches. Lots of cracking and creaking, but no damage.
Scared the shit out of me, not at all what I was expecting. I felt 2 pretty good after shocks, 1 yesterday around 6:30pm
and one early this morning at 4:50 when I let the dogs out. The feeling after a quake is do damn eerie.

It felt strong here, I live in the foothills right above Boise. My windows and pictures were vibrating like hell
and my 2 story house was definitely swaying a couple inches. Lots of cracking and creaking, but no damage.
Scared the shit out of me, not at all what I was expecting. I felt 2 pretty good after shocks, 1 yesterday around 6:30pm
and one early this morning at 4:50 when I let the dogs out. The feeling after a quake is do damn eerie.
They’re definitely one of the strangest experiences out there. When I was in sixth grade my family and I were living about 15 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge earthquake in Southern California. That was something. We here in the PNW are due for a big one...

It seems like this quake went more west and rattled a lot of people that way.
We had our rolling the night of the quake and more or less that has been it here in Challis.
Neighbor said he felt a couple of aftershocks but we haven't.
Some other that live up river towards Stanley are saying they are feeling the aftershocks and had a lot of things come off the walls and so forth.
I lost a hummingbird feeder that was in one of our containers. Nothing came off the walls or even moved in the house.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back