Caribou Gear Tarp

Early season mule deer desert hunt chance of rain?

2rocky

I was anticipating a dry hot hunt for my opener on Saturday. Now it looks like Monday and Tuesday there’s a 50 and 45% chance of rain. How does this change your spot and stalk tactics in a high desert environment?

Last edited:
Spot: more difficult when it’s actually raining, but the cool air keeps them on their feet a bit longer. Also make it more bearable to stay out and glass real hard. If it isn’t actively raining it’s much better this time of year.

Stalk: if you have a deer spotted and it starts raining, go like hell. Cover as much ground as you can and get close with the noise cover. Only exception is if a storm is swirling the wind bad. If it’s a consistent wind, get as close as you can as fast and you can before they get up to re bed or drink

I was just thinking this same thing. I'm in So Cal and was heading up to my zone this weekend to scout. Archery opens on 9/2. General on 10/14. I'm still two weeks out, but looks like off and on rain with thunderstorms.

Very curious how this will affect deer movement. Certainly will quiet my own foot steps but I'm not keen on walking around the woods carrying a bow or rifle when there's lightning!!!

Back